Question About Leopard's Archive & Install.

Discussion in 'macOS' started by neoelectronaut, Jan 20, 2008.

1. neoelectronaut macrumors 68030

neoelectronaut

Okay so I helped my sister upgrade her Macbook Pro yesterday to Leopard simply because she wanted time machine--Apple's Backup Application just wasn't cutting it for her.

Also her computer she said was feeling sluggish, so I felt that an archive and install would be the best--it's clean out the OS and any cobwebs in the process. During installation I picked the "Preserve Users & Network Settings" option, as the desciption seemed to mean that it would roll in her Mail, Applications, Documents, and so on, into the new OS.

Well, it happened, but at the same time there's a folder sitting on her HDD titled Previous Systems, which I know is the archived OS.

Well, I assumed that all of her stuff had been rolled into the new OS, but this was not true when I dragged it to the trash and then opened up the mail application to find nothing there.

Is there any way to get rid of this folder safely?

2. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Wait, are you wanting to get her email back or delete the folder? Maybe tell us a little more about your problem, with very specific details. :)

3. Nydator macrumors member

I am bumping this thread because I have the same question. I did an archive and install and am now wondering whether I can safely delete the 'Previous Systems' folder, which is taking up a lot of space (around 11GB) on my HD.

Everything seems to be working fine since the archive and install and I will save a copy of the Previous Systems folder on an external drive in case it is needed for any reason. Once I have done that can I just trash the Previous Systems folder?

4. Neil321 macrumors 68040

Neil321

yes it's save to delete this folder if you need more proof just
    do a search there's load of threads on the subject

5. McGiord, Jan 28, 2008
    Last edited: Jan 30, 2011

McGiord macrumors 601

McGiord

One of the suggestion is to have a backup of the Previous System Folder in some DVDs.

And in order to have the Archive and Install option to keep your existing Users and all their stuff in the new system installation you must have marked the Preserve Users and Network Settings checkbox during the installation process, if you have that deselected then you'll end with none of the previous users.

Check here for more info:
    http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=107120
    ________
    Ford FG Falcon