Question about limited warranty

Discussion in 'iPad' started by gab2012, May 2, 2012.

1. gab2012 macrumors member

I bought my wife an iPad 2 last summer and got her a smart cover for it. since she is very clumsy with her electronics the corners on the ipad have worn out.

My problem is that the wifi on her iPad is flimsy, it will connect sometimes but it constantly drops the connection. (doesn't happen on my friends iPad on the same network).

Here in Puerto Rico we don't have apple stores but we do have resellers that work with the apple warranty.

Will they deny my claim because of the scrapped corners? The display is perfect and doesn't have a single scratch.

2. Dangerous Theory macrumors 68000

Most likely not if you just mean they are scratched or worn down a bit. If it looks like the iPad has been dropped on the corner or quite heavily hit, they may question the WiFi defect.

3. noteple macrumors 65816

noteple

They will examine it and make a determination. If the WiFi is flaky as you say you got to get it to an Apple store or contact support and get it mailed in. Never know until you try.

4. gab2012 thread starter macrumors member

Its the two bottom corners that are worn out she probably dropped it somewhere, I'll post a pic when she gets home.

There are no apple stores in PR, just premium resellers who handle the warranties directly with apple for every apple product except the iPhone for some reason.

5. gab2012 thread starter macrumors member

Went to the "reseller" said he wouldn't bother sending it to apple (its free and it doesn't cost him a dime) because the would quickly deny it for the scuffs.

I called apple and told them I will be flying from Puerto Rico to Miami in a week in order to have them take a look at the ipad at an official apple store(I work for an airline so the plane ticket isn't a problem).

6. gab2012 thread starter macrumors member

UPDATE: I got a ticket to visit my family in Miami this weekend and took the iPad to the Apple Store in Lincoln Road.

A very nice girl greeted me and helped me out as soon as I walked into the store. She did the tests on their wifi network and quickly found the problem. She ran into the back and replaced the iPad free of charge on the spot. She didn't care for the dent in the corners.

Here the reps at the reseller were total jerks, I hope official apple stores come to Puerto Rico and put them out of business.

Thats amazing customer service, now I get to enjoy my trip with my new iPad :apple: