Question about LINE

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by peterpan123, Jan 13, 2015.

1. peterpan123 macrumors 6502

Hi, on Facebook, friends can see my friend list. How about LINE?

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

3. obeygiant macrumors 68040

obeygiant

Line is a messaging app where you can make free calls and texts. Its pretty big amongst the Japanese.

4. boast macrumors 65816

boast

5. iBlazed, Jan 14, 2015
    Last edited: Jan 14, 2015

iBlazed macrumors 68000

iBlazed

They've been advertising like crazy on tv and on the radio here in the US as well. I don't know anyone who uses it. Aren't calls and texts already free? It's the data that you're really paying for these days, most plans have unlimited talk and text now. I guess it's cool if you have an iPod Touch though. Makes no sense if you have a smartphone actually, because if you're not on wifi this app eats away at your data allowance.

6. obeygiant macrumors 68040

obeygiant

In the states I'm guessing the target demo is 12-17 or hand-held gamers.

[​IMG]
    link

7. iBlazed macrumors 68000

iBlazed

But what's their selling point? What's the advantage over other texting/calling through wifi apps that have been out for a long time now? I couldn't imagine a scenario where I would use a third party app to call or text on a smartphone, unless it's a second line for a different purpose.

8. TheAppleFairy macrumors 68020

TheAppleFairy

I've never seen it advertised in the USA but I have been using it for quite a while. Cellular calls and text can get expensive in Japan, especially if it's between different carriers, but data is cheap. So everyone with a smartphone just uses LINE.

I play clash of clans and our clan has almost all of our members on LINE as well. It is a good way to get out clan information.

9. obeygiant macrumors 68040

obeygiant

If you've ever used kik or snapchat, there are different ways to add a sticker, smilie, or image to a text or timeline that isn't possible with just the regular messaging app. Probably not the only reason, but if your friends are all chatting away with an app you may get the app as well.

10. peterpan123 thread starter macrumors 6502

So, do people in my LINE contact list see whom I have connection with?

11. MonksMac macrumors 6502a

MonksMac

I don't think they do, just from my having used the app for a bit. The only way I could imagine that your contacts would see each other would be if you post a status update on your Line "timeline" or change your profile picture, etc. and one of your other contacts/friends liked or commented on it. Otherwise I can't see how they would know they're in your Line address book.

It will however show you which of your phone's contacts do have a Line account.

To those who are wondering why someone would use an app like Line instead of the regular messages app -

I've often wondered the same thing, and didn't really understand either. One of my friends recently graduated and is visiting family in Thailand for a few months. She said that she wouldn't be able to get her regular text messages (I'm assuming she has a different number because she switched from an AT&T sim to a local one) and that we should only contact her through Line or Facebook Messenger. Keeping that in mind, apps like Line make a lot more sense. Plus the Facebook like stickers are a lot of fun... :p

12. iBlazed macrumors 68000

iBlazed

I think because the song they use in the radio ad just irritates the hell out of me when I hear it, I had a bad first impression of the app. :mad: