Question about linking files in Numbers '09

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by everbell, Dec 28, 2011.

1. everbell macrumors newbie

I'm a new Mac user so bear with me here ... I am used to using Excel and am hoping Numbers has some similar functionality.

I know with Excel you can "share" or "link" data between two separate Excel files and am wondering

What I am trying to do is this: In lieu of a decent Quicken application, I am tracking my monthly budget, income and expenses in a Numbers spreadsheet. What I would then like to do is have each monthly file input data into a yearly overall summary. I know I can do this by copying and pasting, but was REALLY hoping I could do this automatically.

Thanks for any help in advance!

2. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

Gosh, it's been SO long since I last used Numbers... that said, I do believe it supports syntax very much like Excel's for fetching data from elsewhere. I wouldn't be at all surprised if you could put all the various tables into one Numbers document, and use the "fetch data from elsewhere" technique to load it all into a summary table - that's the method I recommend, as it keeps everything in one place.

3. everbell thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks ... I'll try it in Excel and see if I can use the same syntax in Numbers.