Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jamesryanbell

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Mar 17, 2009
1) I downloaded Lion from the App Store and installed it on my Macbook Pro.

2) I DID NOT save the disk image (is it still there somewhere? if so, what's the file name?).

Someone gave me an offer I couldn't refuse for the computer, and I need to leave Lion on it, but remove all of my personal files and info.

How do I get a clean install of Lion on my computer? I've already backed up the whole drive to Time Machine, and just for safety's sake, I manually put all of my important files on a separate external hard drive as well.

I tried to search, but all of the results skipped steps that I need. It was basically just "I downloaded it and made a disk image". I don't know where to find the Lion .dmg file, AND I obviously wasn't able to do that before I installed it.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. :)

jamesryanbell

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Mar 17, 2009
download lion from a computer that has SL installed. you can't download lion if you have it installed.

I don't have access to a computer that has Snow Leopard. I upgraded everything immediately. Does the .dmg file still exist somewhere in a temp directory or something, by chance?

jamesryanbell

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Mar 17, 2009
Is it not possible to boot off the recovery partition, run disk utility and format your OS X partition then install Lion?

Well, this is the problem with that (I think). I'd like to re-install it WITHOUT attributing the copy to me personally (where I have to enter my iTunes acct, etc). I want it install Lion on the HD, and then when it boots, it would ask the user's name, etc for the new owner.

Is that asking too much?

Should I just reinstall Snow Leopard cleanly to do that?

podsorcerer09

macrumors regular
Sep 9, 2008
download lion from a computer that has SL installed. you can't download lion if you have it installed.

Actually if you go into the App store and into the Purchases tab you should see Lion. If you hold option while you click install you should get the installer to start downloading again, that's what Apple posted on their site. After that you would have to format the drive from the installer and then reinstall. Obviously to do that you'd have to burn the image to the disk using the method described in other threads to do that.

I'm not sure what happens when you do a clean install of Lion. I did all the user set up on Snow Leopard on my new MacBook Pro and then installed Lion before I did anything else. Someone else may have some information though, regarding user accounts and not having any of your info on there.

sunnyj

macrumors 6502
Oct 18, 2010
Vancouver, British Columbia
Actually if you go into the App store and into the Purchases tab you should see Lion. If you hold option while you click install you should get the installer to start downloading again, that's what Apple posted on their site. After that you would have to format the drive from the installer and then reinstall. Obviously to do that you'd have to burn the image to the disk using the method described in other threads to do that.

I'm not sure what happens when you do a clean install of Lion. I did all the user set up on Snow Leopard on my new MacBook Pro and then installed Lion before I did anything else. Someone else may have some information though, regarding user accounts and not having any of your info on there.

i tried that but it didn't work when lion just came out

stillmatic

macrumors member
Apr 27, 2010
So what's the work-around? There's got to be something else I can do. I'm just trying to prep the computer for a new owner.

Using the Recovery Drive will Apple ID, but installing from a CD will not. Here's what you'll need to do.

Use Disk Utility to burn the Lion .dmg file (InstallESD.dmg) to a blank DVD.

Restart the computer and hold down the 'C' key on your keyboard.

Install Lion.

netnothing

macrumors 68040
Mar 13, 2007
NH

Yeah, this method isn't working for me anymore. Think Apple disabled it?

Using the Recovery Drive will Apple ID, but installing from a CD will not. Here's what you'll need to do.

Use Disk Utility to burn the Lion .dmg file (InstallESD.dmg) to a blank DVD.

Restart the computer and hold down the 'C' key on your keyboard.

Install Lion.

HE DOESN'T HAVE THE InstallESD.dmg FILE!!!

Why would he be asking if he had the file?

-Kevin

jamesryanbell

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Mar 17, 2009
Yeah, this method isn't working for me anymore. Think Apple disabled it?

HE DOESN'T HAVE THE InstallESD.dmg FILE!!!

Why would he be asking if he had the file?

-Kevin

LOL, I was about to post the same thing.

How do I get a copy of the file? I've purchased it from the App Store, but I've already installed it.

stillmatic

macrumors member
Apr 27, 2010
My fault, lol. Not sure how I missed that little tidbit.

Look, if you just need the file and you already purchased Lion, just download it from Torrents or FilesTube.com. Not a big deal, not like you're pirating it.

jamesryanbell

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Mar 17, 2009
My fault, lol. Not sure how I missed that little tidbit.

Look, if you just need the file and you already purchased Lion, just download it from Torrents or FilesTube.com. Not a big deal, not like you're pirating it.

Ok I'll try that. haha

Mikey86uk

macrumors 6502a
Jul 3, 2010
England
Is it Legal to do a clean install with Lion?

Just asking, as it seems to be a long winded way of doing a clean install!

sxiang1992

macrumors newbie
Aug 1, 2011
How about you just access to disk utility and clean out your disk. Then use online recovery to install Lion?

jamesryanbell

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Mar 17, 2009
How about you just access to disk utility and clean out your disk. Then use online recovery to install Lion?

That's what I ended up doing after all, but it's asking me to log in with my Apple ID to set up the computer...so I don't know if it'll assign all of my personal information to the computer if I do that. I DON'T want it to do that since the computer is going to belong to someone else within a few days. So I'm just letting it sit on the set up screen.

Anyone know if it assigns attributes of your iTunes account to the computer if you use it to set up the computer? Seems like it would, but the only thing that makes me question it is the fact that it still gives you the option to enter your name, address, etc.

Thanks in advance for any help. :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.