Question about Lion regarding servers.

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by east85, Feb 8, 2012.

1. east85 macrumors 65816

east85

I find a server listed as "John Smith's Public Folder" on Lion.

1. I click on the apple logo in the upper left hand corner.
    2. I hover over and activate the menu "Recent Items."
    3. Under servers "John Smith's Public Folder" appears.

If I attempt to click on it I get:
    http://i.imgur.com/b7tZR.png

Is this normal? When I click on it, it says that the server is called "m" or something along those lines. I'm brand new to Mac so I appreciate any response. I apologize if this is painfully obvious. I purchased the computer used so I was unsure if it was perhaps something on the computer, or if it was maybe something the previous user connected to (which would make the most sense).

Thanks.

2. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

This is an odd error message. Strangely enough, I've ran in to it before. But first I ask, are you a Penn State student? The correct answer is relevant to your problem.

3. east85 thread starter macrumors 65816

east85

No I'm not, but I am really confused now...

(Unless that's a rip on Penn State xd)

4. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

Well there goes my theory.

But an explanation for that question. One day in one of my regular boring classes at Penn State, I started typing one letter into the address bar of Firefox to see what would come up. Nothing fun was appearing until I got to M. The page I got was the default "Mac OS X Server has been installed" page for Snow Leopard Server. After a bit more discovering, I found out that it is a "hack lab" machine at the Greater Allegheny campus. If you want to try this and are a PSU student/staff/faculty, go to a lab machine and open a web browser and type in "m" in the address bar, no quotes, and press enter. You'll see the page. This is reproducible on any Penn State computer and non-PSU computer on a PSU network, ie dorms or wireless.

Also on that machine was a bunch of dummy accounts with shared folders. John Smith was one of those dummy accounts.

5. east85 thread starter macrumors 65816

east85

That's very odd and kind of a cool discovery at the same time, would be interesting if it were in any way related. Thanks for clearing that up though. It could be from the area (or anywhere) for all I know really though because I purchased it from an Ebay reseller used.