Question about Lion

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by AppleMacFinder, Oct 21, 2010.

1. AppleMacFinder macrumors 6502a

AppleMacFinder

If I will buy a new MBP Sandy Bridge (2011 - late January / early February)
    after the announcement of the Lion (October 2010 and before the release of the Lion (summer 2011)

will the upgrade be free ? (like it was with Snow Leopard)

2. fcortese macrumors demi-god

fcortese

Who knows? That's a whole heck of a lot of guessing your asking. Will SB be released then and if so, etc, etc. My guess is that if you buy a computer close to the launch date of an upgraded OS that there might be a deal with the upgrade.

3. mark28 macrumors 68000

Sandy Bridge is expected in 2011. But I wouldn't place a bet that Apple will have them immediately though. I'd say after a few months. So around April/May.

You probably still going to have to pay for lion. Between now and summer 2011 is an aweful alot of time and Apple will loose alot of money if they give everybody a free OS upgrade.

4. tjb1 macrumors 68000

I like how everyone just has this dead set date that new MBPs will be out in January/February just because the processor is releasing then...

5. dallas112678 macrumors 6502a

Also its the fact that the current rev would have been out 10 months in Feb. which would be the longest time between refreshes for the MBP, i don't think apple would drag its feet with that in mind. Sure you could try and use the recent Mac Pro as an example but then you can't because the MBP is a bigger seller and is more important for apple to keep it as competitive as possible.

6. MartyF81 macrumors 6502

I think if you bought a new Mac within 2 weeks of the release date they will ship you Lion for the $6.99 Shipping and Handling fee.

That is what they are doing with iLife: http://www.apple.com/ilife/uptodate/

Rule of thumb: Expect that what you get the day you buy it, is all that you are going to ever get.

If you buy it on 06/01/2011 with Snow Leopard and Lion is released on 06/02/2011... don't "Expect" that you will get Lion for free. If you do get it for free... then it is just "Gravy".

7. TopHatPlus macrumors 6502

i just purchased my mbp in september, and i have decided unless the spring refresh is amazing i will not being upgrading until 2012 (currently own a 2.66 ghz i7), and i am hoping that lion will be an affordable price, i kind of enjoyed the 39.99 of the snow leopard but that was just a substantial update so i have no clue. Wouldn't it be nice?

8. Demosthenes X macrumors 68000

Demosthenes X

"Ship"? I expect by then Apple will offer its OS as a digital download from the MacApp store. Stick on a USB drive and install.

At least, I hope so.