Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mesogreat

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 24, 2007
My landlord lets me tag onto the wifi for minor browsing. I wanted to use streamtome for nighttime tv viewing while in bed. My question is if this is the definition of what local wifi is. I just don't want to waste any bandwidth towards the Internet cap.

mesogreat

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 24, 2007
Sorry about that I didn't mean to make a confusing post. I did leave a bit of info out. What Im doing is leaving my Mac mini on 24/7 as a media streamer. I have streamtome on the Mac and my iPad. I want to stream content already on my Mac to the iPad or my apple tv in the next room. I just wanted to make sure since its. As I called it local streaming. Clearly a lack of a better term. That it's not using up any of there bandwith when it comes to there monthly cap.

mesogreat

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 24, 2007
Oh and when I mention the apple tv I'm strictly talking about airplayinf streamtome with the iPad

cawesjmu

macrumors 6502
Apr 4, 2004
Richmond, VA
No, that should not use any of your limited bandwidth. Moving stuff from one device to another on the same network (anything connected to your router) isn't pulling anything new through the modem.

mesogreat

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 24, 2007
I agree I should have my own personal one for that. Especially since they've been nice enough to allow me wifi access at no additional cost. I would primarily be using it while they where already in bed for the night. But still I should lessen the burden on there end as much as I can. I'll keep an eye out at are local flea market. Or for An airport on deal site.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.