Question about local bandwith

Discussion in 'iPad' started by mesogreat, Nov 22, 2011.

1. mesogreat macrumors member

My landlord lets me tag onto the wifi for minor browsing. I wanted to use streamtome for nighttime tv viewing while in bed. My question is if this is the definition of what local wifi is. I just don't want to waste any bandwidth towards the Internet cap.

2. darngooddesign macrumors G3

I'm not sure I understand your question, but streaming TV is not light browsing.

3. IllIllIll macrumors 6502a

What do you mean by local WiFi? Versus what, long distance WiFi?

4. darngooddesign macrumors G3

Yes, that's exactly what he meant.

5. Stetrain macrumors 68040

I think he's streaming from his computer to his iPad, not over the Internet.

6. mesogreat thread starter macrumors member

Sorry about that I didn't mean to make a confusing post. I did leave a bit of info out. What Im doing is leaving my Mac mini on 24/7 as a media streamer. I have streamtome on the Mac and my iPad. I want to stream content already on my Mac to the iPad or my apple tv in the next room. I just wanted to make sure since its. As I called it local streaming. Clearly a lack of a better term. That it's not using up any of there bandwith when it comes to there monthly cap.

7. mesogreat thread starter macrumors member

Oh and when I mention the apple tv I'm strictly talking about airplayinf streamtome with the iPad

8. cawesjmu macrumors 6502

No, that should not use any of your limited bandwidth. Moving stuff from one device to another on the same network (anything connected to your router) isn't pulling anything new through the modem.

9. mesogreat thread starter macrumors member

Great that's what I figured but I wanted to be 100% sure thanks:)

10. rgarjr macrumors 603

rgarjr

Get a wireless router so u don't tie up your landlords network. An airport Express would be ideal.

11. mesogreat thread starter macrumors member

I agree I should have my own personal one for that. Especially since they've been nice enough to allow me wifi access at no additional cost. I would primarily be using it while they where already in bed for the night. But still I should lessen the burden on there end as much as I can. I'll keep an eye out at are local flea market. Or for An airport on deal site.