Question about Lock bracket

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by falcon511, Apr 23, 2016.

1. falcon511 macrumors newbie

falcon511

So I have a work laptop that I use. Not sure why my boss didnt get me a desktop because I dont really need a laptop for this job. Anyway MBPr does not have a lock slot for some dumb reason that only Apple can think of. I have been carrying the laptop home for the past few months and would kind of like to leave it at work. I ordered this locking mechanism from Amazon

http://www.amazon.com/MacBook-Retin...00SW60J3M/ref=cm_cr_arp_d_product_top?ie=UTF8

Will removing any of those screws void the warranty on this Mac? We got Applecare with the system in 2014 so I assume I have 1 year left for this machine. I am not sure if I'd even be allowed to attach the thing so I will ask my boss first but wanted to check to see if the warranty would be voided when adding this thing on.

2. dwfaust macrumors 68040

dwfaust

Did you bother to read the text in the product description?

Screen Shot 2016-04-23 at 9.33.12 PM.png
    The "some dumb reason" that Apple didn't include the kensington lock slot is that they really aren't that secure. This one says that it won't void your warranty, but I would not trust any of these contraptions to secure my $2k notebook if I left it unattended over night...

3. falcon511 thread starter macrumors newbie

falcon511

Yeah I read that. Not sure I trust it either. I guess before I install it I will ask the boss before hand on Monday on how best to proceed. If i do leave the laptop in the office its locked behind a keycarded door. You just never know. Really wish he got me the imac.

4. Queen6 macrumors 603

Queen6

Cough, Cough, it also save`s Apple on machining & design costs, oddly enough my friends >$6K portable workstation (CAD) has a Kensington slot, as ever thieves will target the easiest pickings. To me this is all about savings for Apple, being cheap on the end user, as something is better than nothing. Given this scenario Apple has absolutely nothing to loose, less R&D & stolen Mac`s need to be replaced, win, win for Apple...

Given a choice I would want the Kensington slot incorporated into all Mac portables or a rational alternative.

Q-6