Question about Logic and Cubase

Discussion in 'Digital Audio' started by DaReal_Dionysus, May 17, 2009.

1. DaReal_Dionysus macrumors regular

DaReal_Dionysus

I am not a Audio guy by any means. I am a professional Editor and I used to be a DJ in clubs and still do things like mix at home. I spin at clubs every now and then but it's for fun not a career thing. My question: is Logic the program i can use to learn to make my own songs, I want to make techno songs, breakbeats mostly and I would also like to do a little scoring for some of the stuff i edit.

Would logic be the way to go?

2. joe.cavers macrumors regular

I would advise Logic for this route. I know a DJ who has made his career in DJing and production and he swears by Logic. Once using the program I could clearly see how it works very well and easily out of the box for electronic music.

I'll let others chime in here but Logic's MIDI work makes it (IMO) a great choice for this application.

JC

3. sawtdk macrumors newbie

I totally agree with this. With Logic's massive amount of effects and synthesizer, loops and so on you should be able to easily start out with making youre own techno tracks...

4. DaReal_Dionysus thread starter macrumors regular

DaReal_Dionysus

Thank you very much for your responses!!! I wanted to learn this for a while so this info is great. Like I said i am by no means an audio guy. I don't consider being a dj an audio guy since i just spin records. But i will invest in the program tomorrow and get started.

Would any of you know any good video training places for logic?

Thanks again.

5. joe.cavers macrumors regular

6. ChrisA macrumors G4

Logic Express is pretty good if what you do is "cut and paste" loops and samples and edit midi, transpose up or down and adjust tempos. I think other programs are more popular if you are mostly recording with mics and live musicians. But Logic's strong point is that it treats analog tracks and midi tracks the same way.

About scoring, Logic does OK. There is a notation editor but Sibelius is by far better at this. I think this is true in general, Logic has a broad feature set but you can find other programs that do one thing better in a specialized area.

7. MowingDevil macrumors 68000

MowingDevil

I use Logic myself but you just might want to look into Reason and Ableton as well. I've looked into Ableton and know some people who swear by it. From your statements it might just be perfect for you. VERY geared towards DJs and techno.