Question about Logitech mice (Sqeeek !!)

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Gunga Din, Jan 4, 2009.

1. Gunga Din macrumors 6502

I did a search already and found out some info but I still have a few questions.

The mice I was looking out were the Logitech MX Revolution and VX one. Is the VX a smaller type of mouse. I'm gonna be using this thing on my desk so it doesnt have to be tiny, i'd like a regular sized one.

Also, i read about a scroll wheel being metal on one of these logitech mice and that it was superior than the plastic ones. Is this only on the VX?

I also remember reading about an earlier version of one of these logitech mice being better than the newer version. Wasnt sure if it was one of these on\r that mx1000 etc.

Which logitech mouse would u recommend. I have the MX518 for my Dell and its got the perfect feel. Should I just get another of those or are the above mice better suited for a Mac.

Like I said, I really like the logitech mice, so if you could recommend one , that would be great. Thx

2. J&JPolangin macrumors 68030

...I've been happy with my BT V470 mouse running on an EEEPC1000H and my friends iMac's...

I also have a V450 Nano mouse for portable use with my other PC's that don't have BT - good price to feature point for that mouse compared to the other "nano" products and a bit larger to hold in the hand with comfort compared to those others.

3. VPrime macrumors 68000

VPrime

I have the MAX1000 on my desktop, love it. It has the perfect feel (as do most logitech mice)
    I also have the G5 mouse for my laptop, it is also a great mouse (wired) but I find the mx1000 feel better in my hand.

The G5 feels a lot like the 518.

4. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

Couldn't be happier with my MX Revolution. You can read my experiences here...And I promise pictures tomorrow.

As to the metal/plastic thing - the wheel on the MX seems more then adequate and has some weight to it as well.

5. zer0tails macrumors 65816

zer0tails

I would recommend the MX Revolution for sure. I used my bluetooth mighty mouse for around 8 months before I decided to switch to the mx revolution, and all I can say is the extra buttons, and comfort above all else, definitely made the switch worth it.

So go for the mx revolution and I assure you that you won't be disappointed. :)

Next up, I might consider a logitech dinovo edge keyboard. It's all about ergonomics now..

6. stainlessliquid macrumors 68000

They dont make the MX1000 anymore. It was a good mouse with a good price. The MX Revolution is a lot better but the high price is too much for a lot of people to spend on a mouse. Theres a successor to the MX1000 that just came out, called the MX1100 or some number. Its not as good as the MX Revolution but I imagine its better than the VX.

The MX, VX, and Nano all have the same metal scroll wheel which can change between smooth and click scrolling. The VX is pretty small though, smaller than most normal mice.

If you are going for ergonomics get the MX Revolution or MX1100, they are big full size mice. I would go with a refurb MX Revolution, I picked one up for just $34 from amazon.

Probably the MX1000. It was rechargable while the MX1100 isnt.

7. iBookG4user macrumors 604

iBookG4user

I have both the MX and the VX Revolution. As for how they feel, I personally prefer the VX Revolution a bit more as it seems to mold to my hand a bit better. The MX Revolution has more buttons than the VX and the side scroll wheel is very handy, although the buttons feel a bit more plasticky than the VX (Specifically the forward and backward buttons on the left side, the VX is metal while the MX is plastic). The scroll wheel on both mice feels about the same to me, although they use two different ways to activate the frictionless and precise scroll modes. The MX Revolution requires you to push down on the scroll wheel, while the VX has a switch on the bottom.

One pro of the MX Revolution would be that it has a rechargeable battery, although it needs to be recharged every day to every couple days depending on the usage. The VX Revolution uses a single AA battery that lasts for months at a time (Average is 2 to 3 months between battery changing for me). I use the MX Revolution for day to day computing (which includes heavy photo editing and other activities) and the VX Revolution for the road (same usage). However, I have had the VX Revolution for longer and used it for day to day computing as well and it works great for that. My suggestion would be to go try both out in a store (On a flat table surface at the height you would use if possible) and see which one fits better in your hands, as they are both great mice and I could recommend either one. Both have their perks. Feel free to ask me if you have any more questions, I'd be glad to help :)

I really don't see how the MX Revolution is that much better than the VX Revolution. I've used both and I also haven't felt that the VX Revolution is that much smaller or has that many fewer features than the MX Revolution when I use them. The ergonomics of both mice are top notch and mold to my hand very well, and I have bigger hands as well. I also think that the VX Revolution actually feels a bit better than the MX Revolution for ergonomics and I've used both for an extended period of time. (As said earlier in my post) Have you used the VX Revolution for months at a time?

8. SaSaSushi macrumors 68040

SaSaSushi

I've had my MX Revolution for a year and I couldn't recommend it higher. I have every single button and all functions of both wheels programmed for different uses. For example thumb wheel up for Expose and thumb wheel down for Spaces. I have grown so used to these that I find myself attempting to invoke them when using other's computers with mice that don't even have the wheel.

I almost always use the top wheel in free-scrolling mode and that is another phenomenal feature. I love the fast scrolling.

The overall construction and feel of the mouse is excellent and placing it into the charger overnight I find it never drops below the full 4 bars of charge on the LED indicator.

It's just a great device.

9. Gunga Din thread starter macrumors 6502

Thx for the replies. Great stuff. Do i need to install drivers for these mice or will Mac OSX be fine with them?

10. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

It will work out of the box, but for programming sake just download Logitech Control Center - the download is easier then most driver downloads and the layout is very nice. I have pictures in my other post. Although Stainless iThink uses a different driver interface...

11. Galvatron macrumors member

I have a VX revolution for my iMac and I couldn't be happier. I thought the MX felt a bit cheaper in my hand and sort of big. I also did not like the idea of running the battery dead leaving me without the mouse until I could charge it.

I did try and pick up the MX last week just for back up as BestBuy had them for only $39.99, but they were all sold out. I could have gotten a raincheck on it but didn't feel that strongly about it.

12. Gunga Din thread starter macrumors 6502

What about the MX620?

13. numbersyx macrumors 65816

numbersyx

Another vote for the Revolution MX. Best mouse I have ever owned....