Question about logo design.

Discussion in 'Design and Graphics' started by definitive, Feb 8, 2010.

1. definitive macrumors 68000

definitive

Say I'm making a logo for a company, and I'd like to find out if someone else used this idea before (if the companies are named similarly). Would there be a way for me to check? I know about brandsoftheworld site, but I doubt that it has all of the logos on there..

2. ezekielrage_99 macrumors 68040

ezekielrage_99

Brands of the World would be a good starting point, google, BrandChannel, logopond, logolounge, etc...

It really depends on the type of company and the usage, so research otherwise you might end up copying or having a similar concept...

3. mattyuk macrumors 6502

mattyuk

I think there was a quote from Saul Bass, I cant remember to be honest - but it said,

'Always design a logo with distance in mind. A good design stands up when you're either 1 eye away or 100 yards away.'

4. THX1139 macrumors 68000

THX1139

Nice quote, but it doesn't have anything to do with the question that was asked.

To know for certain that a logo is original and not infringing is to pay a professional for a trademark search.

5. ezekielrage_99 macrumors 68040

ezekielrage_99

Generally that's what any professional designer would do, however I think the context of the question was in the free variety.