Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

aces99

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 18, 2014
Canada
I have a question about LTE settings on a iPhone. If I go to “Settings” then “Cellular” then “Cellular Data Options” and click on “Enable LTE” there are a couple different options to choose from. There is “Voice and Data” and “Data Only”. Right now it is set to “Data Only”. But under the different options it says “Using LTE can load data faster and improve voice quality”. What is the best option to choose. Should it be set to “Voice and Data” or should it just be set to “Data Only”?

Last edited:

jetsam

macrumors 6502a
Jul 28, 2015

aces99

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 18, 2014
Canada
I am on Telus. But it was set to “Data Only” I wasn’t sure if a person set it to “Voice and Data” that it might use a lot more of your cellular data and might make it more expensive using the voice and data setting.

jetsam

macrumors 6502a
Jul 28, 2015
I am on Telus. But it was set to “Data Only” I wasn’t sure if a person set it to “Voice and Data” that it might use a lot more of your cellular data and might make it more expensive using the voice and data setting.
That's a common misconception. In the Telus reference I gave, it says:
"There are no additional fees for using the VoLTE service and does not use any of your allotted data."

As far as I know, this is true of all North American carriers.

JoeyD74

macrumors 6502
Oct 31, 2014
In poor reception areas I switch my LTE to data only and the phone gets better reception for calls, this is on Verizon and in areas where there is really bad service

aces99

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 18, 2014
Canada
What about the option that says “Wi-Fi calling on this iPhone” Should this option be enabled or not? I am not sure what the advantage would be to make and receive call over Wi-Fi compared to the regular way.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
What about the option that says “Wi-Fi calling on this iPhone” Should this option be enabled or not? I am not sure what the advantage would be to make and receive call over Wi-Fi compared to the regular way.
If you have a poor cellular signal or perhaps no cellular signal then being able to make or receive calls via WiFi would be useful. It's all more or less fairly straightforward.

joelvc

macrumors newbie
Sep 12, 2017
WifiCalling also enables you to make phone call outside your country and not be on roaming, as it uses Internet until the servers of your supplier.

jetsam

macrumors 6502a
Jul 28, 2015
WifiCalling also enables you to make phone call outside your country and not be on roaming, as it uses Internet until the servers of your supplier.
That's only true on some carriers. The OP’s carrier, Telus, blocks Wi-Fi calling and messaging outside of Canada.

aces99

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 18, 2014
Canada
Thanks for all the information. Yes my carrier, Telus, blocks Wi-Fi calling outside of Canada. Which is kind of a bummer.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.