Question about LTE

Discussion in 'iPad' started by mjohansen, Mar 6, 2012.

1. mjohansen macrumors regular

Sorry if this questions has been raised before.

If the new iPad has LTE, does that mean, that the iPad will use LTE when available, 3G if LTE isn't available and EDGE if 3G isn't available?

Or will LTE go straight to EDGE?

2. TB07-NJ macrumors 68020

It will (should) use whatever is available just like current LTE cell phones.

3. mjohansen thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for the reply.

I have a follow-up question.

In Denmark (where I live), there has been a lot of speculation about the new iPad.
    In several of the articles I have read, it has been mentioned that the LTE standard in the US and the LTE standard in Denmark aren't the same, which might mean, that the new iPad (if it has LTE) will not work properly in Denmark until we adapt the US standard.

I cannot find any information on the subject. Can anyone here shed some light over the issue?

4. TB07-NJ macrumors 68020

That's very possible if not completely probable. Just like an unlocked AT&T 3G phone won't work on T-Mobile 3G in the US because they use different bands. A 3G+LTE laptop may not work on 3G OR LTE in Denmark but only on EDGE (2G) if Denmark doesn't use the AT&T 3G bands. It MAY only work on 2G(Edge).

Your OP didn't mention you were in Denmark.

5. mjohansen thread starter macrumors regular

It didn't matter in my OP, as I was just trying to figure out how LTE worked.

I went through the wikipedia page on LTE:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/3GPP_Long_Term_Evolution

According to wikipedia: "LTE is, therefore, anticipated to become the first truly global mobile phone standard.".

How can it be the first truly global mobil phone standard, if there's more than one LTE standard?

6. TB07-NJ macrumors 68020

That's why I never rely on Wikipedia. ;) I guess they "anticipated" wrong.

Thinking about it, maybe the TECHNOLOGY is the same (I don't know) but not necessarily the bands that are used by various carriers.

7. mjohansen thread starter macrumors regular

I guess I will have to rely on 3G just a little bit longer then. Thanks for the help.