Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Tina826

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 16, 2010
:confused:

Hello I'm new to the forum this is my first post actually

I have a mac book pro have had it for about 3 years but basically i'm ignorant when it comes to my mac i have a pc as well but i really love using my mac book..so though i have had my mac for years I dunno much about it sadly.

I recently started chatting with some friends on msn messenger on both my pc and my mac and we use alot of smilies (emoticons) and on my pc i just right click and add...on my mac when my friends post a emoticon #1 i dont see it # 2 when I right click and add it does not seem to work.

Does anyone have any idea what I need to do to be able to see emoticons and add them...I have tried searching the web and saw a few tips but I didnt really understand them ...i found this forum and thought I would try asking here.

If I have posted this thread in the wrong place...I'm sorry.

Tina

BlueRevolution

macrumors 603
Jul 26, 2004
Montreal, QC
I'm not sure about MSN for Mac, but Adium supports receiving custom emoticons but not sending them. The same goes for those annoying "nudge" things, although in Adium's case it just displays a line in the chat window saying "xyz nudged you!" or something.

forcefieldkid

macrumors 6502
Jan 20, 2010
You need to go into preferences and tick the box that says 'display custom emoticons' (or something like that, use Adium these days, so I can't recall exactly).

That should also allow you to ctrl+click/right-click on a custom emoticon and select to save it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.