Question about macbook and macbook pro batteries?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by mbcollins93, Jan 8, 2009.

1. mbcollins93 macrumors member

mbcollins93

Hi,
    i am doing some research for a "video" (I guess you could say), and one thing i want to find out is about the the actual life of the battery on the macbooks and the macbook pros. i of course know about how the macbooks have a 5 hour battery life, the 15 in. macbook pros have 5 hour, and the 17 in. macbook pros have 8 hours, but i want to know about how long the actual battery will last you. like will it last you a year, 2 years, or 3. One of the things that brought me on to this is i heard that the new 17 in. mbp had a 1,000 charges. so i am just wondering.
    thanks

2. zorahk macrumors 6502

You should also note that it's all a lie.

It will not last 8 hours just as the macbook pro 15 inch does not last 5.

They are basically running the computer with brightness on 1, keyboard brightness on 1, no CD in the drive, no WiFi, and having no app open but web browsing.

That's how they get it so high, I expect.

3. RKpro macrumors 6502

According to Apple, for the 17 inch MBP they say they expect the battery with 1000 cycles to last 5 years, so that's 200cycles/year.
    1000 cycles is 3 times more then normal batteries, so a normal battery has 333 cycles, and will therefore last 1.665 years?

As for life per each cycles, yeah they say 5 hours. I DID have it last 5 hours ONCE, when I was writing a paper for school. I stared at 8PM and worked nonstop until 1AM, that's when the battery died. I had very low backlight, no BT, no keyboard lights, no sounds, just wifi and no apps other then Word and Firefox.

Actual typical use is between 3.5 - 4.5 hours