Question about macbook pro battery, mine is currently failing.

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by gc15, Jun 6, 2016.

1. gc15 macrumors regular

As of lately my computer has been getting severely hot where the battery is. My macbookpro is a late 2011 model and I am guessing my battery is starting to go bad or possibly the fans malfunctioned. I looked at how many cycles I have on the battery and it was around 600 plus. I did open up my laptop and installed ram, and was going to install a ssd, but I have not had the time yet. Also these problems started to happen after I installed the ram.

I'm just wondering if there was a definite way of determine the problem, any suggestions? Also I was having problems with the screen getting lines and apparently RadeonGate was with my particular model, luckily that has not happened in almost two months. I just have a host of problems haha.

2. raptor402 macrumors 6502

Hi,

A dying battery shouldn't overheat. Dead lithium ion cells end up swelling up to twice the thickness. First off, make sure that the battery isn't swollen (it could severely damage the chassis and crack the trackpad).

If the problems started right after installation of the memory, you might not have plugged the battery cable back in properly (assuming that you unplugged the battery during installation), or you might have damaged the connector. It would be best to open up the laptop and have a look at both the battery and the connector.

Regards
    Raptor

3. BrianBaughn macrumors 601

BrianBaughn

The MBP should let you know if you need a new battery...mine did.