Question about MacBook Pro Temps

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by CrzyIcE, Aug 7, 2018.

1. CrzyIcE macrumors member

Hi,

This is my first time owning a MacBook Pro (w/ TB) and I was wondering if my temperatures are normal:
    On idle and running with a few web browsers in the background, Intel Power Gadget shows about 48-50 C.

However, when I try to run "Hearthstone", the temperature ramps up to 80 to 95 C with only 20% of CPU utilization. Is that usually normal for non-intensive games to be that hot? I don't don't know if there is a way to check to see if the fans are working properly but I just wanted to make sure everything is normal.

I tried using "Fanny" and "Smc Fan Control" and it shows weird numbers like 32904802 RPM or negative RPMs.

Thanks!

2. iMacDragon macrumors 68000

iMacDragon

This is pretty usual, Apple set the default fan profile to try and stay as quiet as possible, which leads to things running hot by nature.

Older fan control app's don't work as T2 changed the control interface.

3. CrzyIcE thread starter macrumors member

Thanks, iMacDragon! That makes sense. I thought I was having some fan issues when both apps didn't work.

4. Dovahkiing macrumors regular

Macs Fan Control works with 2018 MBPs. Your temps are normal.

5. CrzyIcE thread starter macrumors member

Got it!
    Another quick question - I am assuming it is also normal for temperatures to rise to 80-90 C when I plug in my charger to charge my MacBook Pro? Since it is drawing power.

Using Intel Power Gadget, it shows my Utilization jumping to about 50-60%, temps to 80-90+C, Power to 20-35 PKG, and Frequency hovers around 3.0+.

6. DaveMike11 macrumors regular

I'm new to Macs. I got an 2018 MBP few days back . How do guys check the internal temperatures of MBP ?

7. CrzyIcE thread starter macrumors member

I've been using Intel Power Gadget, I am not sure if it is accurate.

8. robvas macrumors 68030

9. CrzyIcE thread starter macrumors member

?? Simply just trying to understand the temps on my MacBook Pro.

If you are referring to the others throttling and temp threads, yes I have been following those but not religiously - so maybe I did miss something mentioned that relates to my questions.
    And I did try to google to see if anyone else had the same concerns but nothing exact so I wanted to ask to confirm.

10. mdnz macrumors regular

80-90c is normal when you run Hearthstone on the 2018 15". I have the same one and seeing similar temperatures. It gets so hot because of the GPU.