Question about Macbook pro.

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by bettermanlamia, Nov 12, 2007.

1. bettermanlamia macrumors newbie

Alright, I'm getting my first mac in like 10 years.
    A Macbook Pro Coming in the mail right now.
    Now, all the computer in my house are windows. 2 wireless 2 wired.
    All windows XP.
    I have a netgear Router. WGR614v6.
    Now, Will Airport work with a Netgear router?
    That has windows computer ALSO on the same router?
    (I'm a noobie to mac its been a LONG Time so)

David.

2. Nugget macrumors 65816

Nugget

3. CalBoy macrumors 604

CalBoy

Yes, it will work fine. I share my wireless with an XP computer, and no problems thus far. :)

4. bettermanlamia thread starter macrumors newbie

Okay. Well, Because of the other wireless internet's on there i wondered because they click on and off without warning sometimes i think because of the router i dont really know. But, Do I need to put in the disk or just go to 192.168.1.1 and set it up? because i think airport would just automaticly pick up the signal but.

David.

EDIT: Also, What's better for a Music format on Mac; Mp3 or ACC? I know that Mp3 will work but i always hear that ACC is Mac's Main Music Format.

5. CalBoy macrumors 604

CalBoy

You'll be fine connecting. I've connected to dozens of PC-based networks without a hitch.

As for music, I won't comment. :p

6. bettermanlamia thread starter macrumors newbie

Ok. Thank you guys. :D

Rawr :p
    I know WMA wont work and that's all i have in music right now so XD haha.

7. scaredpoet macrumors 604

scaredpoet

You can convert the wma files into a playable format, so long as they don't ave any digital rights management or encryption on them.

Try this:

http://www.easywma.com/

It basically takes iTunes-incompatible files, and converts it into something the Mac can play natively.

And as for the network thing, most routers really don't care what OS your computers are running. So long as they're 802.11b/g/n compatible, you should be fine.

8. None Such macrumors 6502

I have a macbook pro and my parents have a windows pc using a netgear router. My sister has a pc using xp that connects wirelessly also. The first time i went over there with my MBP I just added the password for their network to my keychain. It worked perfectly and remembers everytime I go over there.

9. bettermanlamia thread starter macrumors newbie

ok. well i got them put to mp3 128 so that should be fine. i mean its like 1000 songs so.. xD takes a while on a old ...windows...compaq...computer...384 ram....its slow...bleh..

ok that's good that it add's it and keeps it :D
    Ours has that, i think ours is WEP is that alright? i heard somewhere that WPA is better with a mac.

David.