Question About MacBook's Hard Drive

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Virtualball, Nov 21, 2007.

1. Virtualball macrumors 6502

2. EricNau Moderator emeritus

EricNau

Is your MacBook no longer covered by AppleCare? ...Do you happen to know if your HD was a Seagate with firmware v. 7.01?

3. Virtualball thread starter macrumors 6502

I have no idea, but I got it the first three weeks it was available. I am out of the warranty, and all I know that could help you is it was a 60 GB HDD. :( The only reason I know this might not work is because it is ATA, I don't know what that means, but I think you need SATA.

Help? :eek:

4. TheStu macrumors 65816

5. Virtualball thread starter macrumors 6502

How do I find out if My HDD has firmware 7.01? Also, how do I get Apple to replace it?

6. EricNau Moderator emeritus

EricNau

Unfortunately, you would need to boot into OS X to determine the version number, but that's not possible if your HD crashed. I asked, because of this news story a few weeks back, which found a defect in a large portion of the MacBook HDs, and it is probable that you were affected.

Since you are outside of the one year warranty, and did not purchase AppleCare, Apple will most likely deny you coverage. However, if you really pressure them (because of this issue), you may be able to get a replacement HD.