Question about MagSafe charger

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by ElliottG, Oct 6, 2013.

1. ElliottG macrumors member

Hey guys

I was just wondering what's up with the grounds on the MagSafe chargers. Why does the charger body itself (the big white thing) have no ground prong, but the cable extender does? I'm surprised that something for electronics like this doesn't have a ground prong like most other power supplies...

Maybe something to do with the wiring inside the charger itself?

Any ideas?

Thanks,
    Elliott

2. laurihoefs macrumors 6502a

laurihoefs

It has a ground prong. It's the round silver metal part that also acts as an extra support for the connected adapters or cords.

3. ElliottG thread starter macrumors member

Thanks.

I guess it is not grounded to the outlet in any way? That would require there being an actual ground prong on the plug...?

4. laurihoefs macrumors 6502a

laurihoefs

The small plug is not grounded, but the extension cable you can use in it's place is.

5. ElliottG, Oct 6, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 6, 2013

ElliottG thread starter macrumors member

Right, that's what I initially noticed...just thought that was weird and was wondering why they would do that with one having it and not the other...quite strange. I thought all new tech nowadays had the ground prong on the oulets...but clearly not in Apple's case.

6. actuallyinaus macrumors regular

i also do not understand why there is a lack of ground prong on the small (non extension cord) plug

7. JerseyDoug macrumors regular

Probably so Apple could maintain its compact form.

8. actuallyinaus macrumors regular

plenty of space for them to have a third prong on the non extension Australian ends

[​IMG]

9. laurihoefs macrumors 6502a

laurihoefs

The charger does not require safety grounding to function.

When the charger is connected to the corded adapter, it is likely going be touched and handled by the user. As it's an AC device, regulations might require it to have a safety ground. Even if they don't, it's a good idea to have the grounding.

When the small plug is connected, the charger is going to hang on a wall socket or sit on an extension cord. It has a plastic case, and is vey unlikely to be handled, so the safety ground is not required.

Leaving the third prong out from the small plug also makes it compatible with non-grounded sockets which don't have holes for the third prong.

10. JerseyDoug macrumors regular

Good point. Obviously, I forgot there is world out there besides where I live. My bad. Thanks for correcting me.

Do all outlets down under have three prongs? Or do some only have two?

11. actuallyinaus macrumors regular

yep, i have never seen a two prong socket in my entire life, everything is three pronged

the standard (established in 1937) is for three prong sockets, doubly insulated appliances are allowed to have two pins on the plug, but all the sockets are three pinned

12. JerseyDoug macrumors regular

I as sit here examining the extension cord that came with my rMBP, I see that it has three prongs on the plug end, but but no ground connector on the other end that connects to the actual power supply.:eek:

13. actuallyinaus macrumors regular

there seem to be three connection points, the big round thing is one right? http://mat.su/wp-content/uploads/2006/12/MacBook_Pro_charger.jpg

14. laurihoefs macrumors 6502a

laurihoefs

Here's a picture, that shows you where they are: http://forums.macrumors.com/showpost.php?p=17760865&postcount=14

In fact the last couple of replies to that whole thread contain a lot of info related to this thread.

15. JerseyDoug macrumors regular

thanks for pointing that out. In the poor light in my office I couldn't make out metal tabs on the extension cord. Thanks!