Question about Mail Syncing with iPhone

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by gpick45, Oct 10, 2014.

1. gpick45 macrumors newbie

I've got an iPhone 6, and I have a problem with the mail...

I've have a single mail account with Comcast, and have it set up on the phone. I have the mail set up for manual update instead of push.

When I do a manual fetch, it retrieves new mail just fine.

So then I go to my computer and delete some mail from the server.

Next I go back to the phone and do another manual fetch/update.

The problem is, the mail I deleted from the server, does not get deleted from the phone. Is there some special setting somewhere that I would need to do so the sync would work?

Thanks.

2. goknicks macrumors member

Not really sure, but unless it's an Exchange Account, I don't think it works that way.

I also had a Cable Co. Account before and had to delete on both sides (phone and Web)

Others might know more....

3. scaredpoet macrumors 604

scaredpoet

Comcast e-mail only supports POP Mail, which is your problem. POP Mail only supports fetch (not push), and on top of that, it requires locally downloading the mail to your device.

As a result, when you delete your e-mail from one device, it's going to stay on the other because each device has to keep its own local databse of e-mail messages.

POP is an old technology, and wasn't really designed with multiple email clients in mind. I'm not sure why Comcast hasn't enabled IMAP (newer protocol) on their system, because the software they're using does support it.

The only way to keep your mail in sync with Comcast is to use their web-based e-mail on your dekstop, and the Xfinity Connect app on your phone to check e-mail. Or, use a different e-mail service like iCloud, Gmail, Outlook.com or Yahoo.

4. pdxmatts macrumors 65816

pdxmatts

You could set up an iCloud email account and then set your Comcast account to forward to the iCloud account. Not sure if that would delete the messages off your Comcast account though

5. gpick45 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the feedback folks; interesting though, I was using a Windows 8 phone before this, and it worked seamlessly with the same Comcast POP account.