Question about making a return at the Apple Store

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by metzy25, Nov 1, 2014.

1. metzy25 macrumors 6502a

metzy25

Last Saturday I picked up a 6 plus at the apple store by adding a new line to my account. The day after i had to make an exchange through the Genius Bar due to Touch ID not working on the original phone. Am I still able to return the phone? Or am I not able to since I had to make an exchange through the Genius Bar? Sorry if this is a stupid question I couldn't find the answer any where else.

2. Shadowbech macrumors 68040

Normally once you make replace it with a service unit at the genius bar, you can't return the device anymore. Reason is the serial number on the phone does not match with the box.

I have heard in some cases where some did accept a return. You can try. Just take all the paperwork and the box with you (including the service paperwork). And see what they say.

3. deeddawg macrumors 604

The refused returns I've heard of were at other retailers after doing a Genius Bar exchange. I would think that Apple would have records of the exchange and have no issue with a return, but i could be wrong.

Whatever the responses here, go give it a try. Worst case they refuse, but there's a chance (I think a good one) you'll succeed. On the other hand if you don't even try, your chance of success is zero.

4. ssl0408 macrumors 65816

Last year I did what you're suggesting regarding a faulty 5S. I picked up one in-store and the battery life was terrible, genius bar gave me a service unit. The next day I realized that I didn't want a service unit; I wanted a phone in a retail box so I brought it back and they located my old 5S in the back of the store and processed a return. It was processed as if I never took the service unit. I then bought a phone in a retail box. It was a long process, but in the end it worked out. I don't know how'd they'd handle your case because they told me that if my phone wasn't still at the store (they ship the returns to the warehouse) they couldn't do the return. They could be wrong, though. Good luck.