question about managing itunes

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by mrgreeneyes, Apr 12, 2009.

1. mrgreeneyes macrumors 6502

hi,

i have a problem,

ok i like to have all my music, with cover art and lyrics and all spelled properly and have all the track numbers.
    but sincei have all my music in a external drive, im just worried that having it plugged into my macbook and organizing my music right from the drive, might cause it to eventually die.

so what i have been doing is copying a few gigs of music at a time to my mac, then organizing it then re copying it to my external drive and over-writting the old music files, but i noticed that all the cover art for those gigs of music are gone. why is that?

thanks.

2. JonHimself macrumors 68000

JonHimself

I could be wrong, but it might depend on how you're adding the artwork. Are you using the iTunes feature to download artwork automatically or are you downloading images yourself and adding them to the files? As I understand it (I could be wrong) using the iTunes features doesn't attach the image to to the music file (so if you copy it else where, it loses the artwork) whereas downloading an actual image and adding it manually will attach the photo to the music file.
    At first I thought this was a bad thing (I copy a lossless file, then add the info, artwork etc and then copy it to a back-up hard drive) but realized if iTunes is able to find the image when I first copy, it will be able to find it later (of course there may be times that it doesn't)... so what I do now is use iTunes first, if it finds the artwork then I don't worry about it but if it can't, I'll search for a cd cover and then add it manually so that the file always has the artwork.
    That's probably a long explanation, sorry.

3. oli2140 macrumors 6502

4. mrgreeneyes thread starter macrumors 6502

i get the art work both ways (from itunes and from google images)

is there a way to export all the art work?