Question about Maps!!

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by blimeyoriley, Jul 17, 2008.

1. blimeyoriley macrumors member

hey everyone, should hopefully be getting a 3G soon, but this just popped into my head!!

gps will obv really come in handy if you're abroad. i know that the a-gps uses satellites+cell tower tri to locate ur position - im assuming even if youre abroad this is free!

but obv to use such handy features, am i right in thinking that maps will require a constant connection via EDGE or 3G to load??

cos if this is the case using gps abroad will equate to a very expensive bill, and is almost unfeasible!!

thanks in advance for your help!!

2. LeeTom macrumors 68000

LeeTom

that's true. without the internets, you get your position on a grey grid. not very helpful!

3. profetto macrumors regular

What kind of data plan do you intend to get with your new iPhone 3G?

Here in Canada we have a simple plan $30 for 6 gigs. Works beautifully! It basically works out to 200 megs of data a day.

I can basically walk around and constantly use internet. If I tried to use all 200 megs of data a day I'd probably kill the battery before I could even reach 100 megs.

If you're planning on getting a small data plan like 10 megs or something a month, I'd be careful on using maps.

4. higgalls macrumors regular

Yeah you can get stung with huge data charges if you go roaming (there is an option to disable roaming data).
    It would be nice i there was a function to cache maps. Lets hope that it happens soon, or TomTom (or some other company) brings out Navigation software for the iPhone.

5. blimeyoriley thread starter macrumors member

wow - isnt that quite pricey - i thought the uk was expensive!! for £35 ($70 ca) you get 600 mins, 500 texts, and unlimited data - thats not a problem - what i was wondering was if using gps abroad was practical - i guess every operator has different costs, but any idea on how much data, say the average journey using maps+gps would use? thanks anyway for the advice!!