Question about MarketPlace

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by tsice19, Mar 30, 2008.

1. tsice19 macrumors 6502a

tsice19

Sorry this is in wrong section... but I don't have enough post to get into the the MarketPlace :)

Anyway...

I don't have an eBay account or PayPal account, so how does selling/buying work? Trading? I don't want to jerk anyone around, and at the same time, I don't want to get ripped off. I'm sure someone here can help me.

Thank you, and I apologize for this being in the wrong section,
    tsice19

2. MacHipster macrumors 6502

You can try a site like craigslist. I've used it in the past with no problems.

3. tsice19 thread starter macrumors 6502a

tsice19

Yeah but how do you handle money and expensive products without getting ripped off? I don't need someone ripping me off and me losing 300 bucks/an iPod.

Thanks

4. bartelby macrumors Core

Make the exchange in a bank. The buyer gives you the money and you pay it straight into your account. Then hand over the iPod.

5. tsice19 thread starter macrumors 6502a

tsice19

So you meet with the person in a bank? That sounds like a good idea.

It might be easier just to sell it to one of my buddies at school.

6. nhcowboy1 macrumors 6502

This really horrible thread - which was discovered to be a scam, by the way, so don't get too caught up in the original poster's "plight" - has some really excellent suggestions on how to conduct craigslist transactions safely. It's a long thread, and it'll probably take a few minutes to go through it and sort the good from the bad, but there are some really useful posts in there, with ideas I'd never have thought of!

And, of course, never deal with anyone who wants to send you the money and have you ship the system, unless you're able to wait until you have actual cash in hand - not a Western Union receipt or "proof of mailing" or some such!

7. tsice19 thread starter macrumors 6502a

tsice19

Thanks for the tips. I've just decided I'm not selling/buying anything off sites such as eBay and Craigslist. It's too easy to be scammed.

8. aquajet macrumors 68020

Do you understand how Craigslist works? It is very different than eBay and is more comparable to the classifieds section in your local newspaper.

I've used Craigslist many times to buy and sell stuff. You talk with the person on the phone, meet in person locally, and deal in cash only. Much more simple and straightforward compared to ebay.