Question about MBP and Thunderbolt Display

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by puke, May 20, 2012.

1. puke macrumors regular

Hello!

With all the rumors about them removing the ethernet-port, i'm wondering if you will be able to pop an ethernet-cable into the Thunderbolt Display (current or new one) and then get ethernet through the Thunderbolt-cable instead? I like my ethernet and it's more stable then wireless, every time.

On another note, if they're upgrading to retina, they will most likely do that to Thunderbolt Display aswell, right? Would be stupid to get a laptop at 15.4" with higher resolution then the 27" TBD. What's your take on this?

Thankyou

//Johan

2. simsaladimbamba

Yes, you can do that, as one can do the same with an MBA and TB-display.

And if the 27" iMac will get a Retina display, the TBD will get the same treatment sometime after that.

3. w00t951 macrumors 68000

w00t951

There is no single GPU that can push that many pixels, much less the one that is inside the iMac.

4. simsaladimbamba

But there probably will be one, that is able to do that, one day, and if that day arrives, maybe this year, maybe 2015, and the 27" iMac will get a retina display, the TBD will get one too.

5. puke thread starter macrumors regular

Wouldn't it be weird tho, having a MBP 15.4" that has more pixels then the current Thunderbolt Display?

6. simsaladimbamba

If you follow Apple's past implementation of Retina displays (iPhone and iPad), the actual GUI did not get smaller, just all the icons and elements were four times the size before, and due to the resolution increase (quadrupled), it looked like before, just with sharper elements.

The current Menu Bar is 22 pixels high on either resolution, on Retina displays it will be 44 pixels high. And so forth ...

7. puke thread starter macrumors regular

So... If the Macbook Pro has approx double the pixels as the TBD, wouldn't the resolution be pushed down to the max resolution of the TBD? (This assuming the MBPs will get retina and the TBD's won't get it when the MBP's get it)

The dream would be a 15" mbp and a tbd released on June 11th, both with retina and usb3. :)

8. A7ibaba macrumors regular

A7ibaba

5120 x 2880 resolution on thunderbolt display for 999 $ ? Dream on boy.

9. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Correct. That is how it works now. The MBP outputs to the native TBD resolution when connected.

10. puke thread starter macrumors regular

Actually, i'm not a boy, and no, I'm not dreaming. I never even said a price. I don't care what it would cost, i'm buying it anyway.

And yeah, that's what I thought... Let's hope they release the new Thunderbolt Display quickly...

11. A7ibaba macrumors regular

A7ibaba

hehe,i didn't mean u are really a "boy" :) That's just an expression.Point is that there will not be a thunderbolt with that resolution in the near future because there is no hardware capable to run it and to put it in mobile devices or macmini.And if it was u can count it will be cost like 4000$ atleast.

12. puke thread starter macrumors regular

Isnt it the apple-way to update pretty much everything to retina right now? (If the rumors are true, ofc). Near future? When would people bet this will happen?

Is it worth getting the new MBP with the current TBD?

13. simsaladimbamba

Yes, it is, but then again, your computational needs might only be satisfied with Retina display technology, and if that is so, the whole picture turns that famous 360-180 degrees.

14. puke thread starter macrumors regular

Agreed. Technically, the retina display won't give more workspace, it will only make everything look nicer (with the same space to work with) so technically, it'd be fine. But would suck if they upgraded it next and you buy an old product. (Yes, this is the safest problem in the world, if you want it, get it) :)