Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Zendefone

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 4, 2010
Would using the MBP with my battery fully charged and plugged into power shorten my battery lifespan?

Thanks alot.

StopSign24

macrumors regular
Feb 1, 2010
No it won't, the way that Apple designed the batteries inside of the Macbook Pros is so when it is plugged in, it will let the battery drain 1-2% that way it keeps the fluids inside of the battery in motion. There is no difference between leaving it plugged/unplugged.

Stvwndr219

macrumors 6502
Jan 26, 2009
I've left it plugged in whenever I use it in my apartment - which is quite often and battery health is still 97% :)

Zendefone

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 4, 2010
Alright thanks for the tips guys.

Sorry if this is a stupid question, because i haven got my MBP yet, but already ordered it. Is the battery in the current MBP removable? Because it says ''built-in battery'', meaning it can't be removed unless you unscrew or open up the MBP? So you would have no other choice but to use the MBP fully charged while plugged in if you want to work from a power source?

CC424

macrumors regular
Mar 8, 2009
My 13" MBP is 2 months old and the battery health is only 91%. Is that normal?

Zendefone

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 4, 2010
Thanks guys, i've read the FAQ. But i have another question that is not covered in the FAQ.

I heard that it's better for your battery lifespan if you don't frequently use the battery till it's completely discharged to 0% everytime and charge fully again, instead, try to charge it when your battery reaches about above 50% most of the time, as battery will store longer with short discharge/charge compared to frequent full discharge/charge. Is that true?

CC424

macrumors regular
Mar 8, 2009
I have less than 20 cycles... And I have tried to calibrate it from the instructions from apple's website.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.