Question about MBP battery life

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Zendefone, Dec 4, 2010.

1. Zendefone macrumors newbie

Would using the MBP with my battery fully charged and plugged into power shorten my battery lifespan?

Thanks alot.

2. StopSign24 macrumors regular

No it won't, the way that Apple designed the batteries inside of the Macbook Pros is so when it is plugged in, it will let the battery drain 1-2% that way it keeps the fluids inside of the battery in motion. There is no difference between leaving it plugged/unplugged.

3. Stvwndr219 macrumors 6502

I've left it plugged in whenever I use it in my apartment - which is quite often and battery health is still 97% :)

4. Zendefone thread starter macrumors newbie

Alright thanks for the tips guys.

Sorry if this is a stupid question, because i haven got my MBP yet, but already ordered it. Is the battery in the current MBP removable? Because it says ''built-in battery'', meaning it can't be removed unless you unscrew or open up the MBP? So you would have no other choice but to use the MBP fully charged while plugged in if you want to work from a power source?

5. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

It is non-user-removable, meaning that if you want it changed or replaced you have to take it into a store.

6. bigjobby macrumors 65816

Check out this really useful link, some of it will be in the user manual:

Apple Notebook Battery FAQ

Also, I wouldn't be too paranoid about your battery. Just use the MBP however you feel whilst following the guidelines and you should be AOK.

7. CC424 macrumors regular

My 13" MBP is 2 months old and the battery health is only 91%. Is that normal?

8. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

How many cycles?

9. Zendefone thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks guys, i've read the FAQ. But i have another question that is not covered in the FAQ.

I heard that it's better for your battery lifespan if you don't frequently use the battery till it's completely discharged to 0% everytime and charge fully again, instead, try to charge it when your battery reaches about above 50% most of the time, as battery will store longer with short discharge/charge compared to frequent full discharge/charge. Is that true?

10. bigjobby macrumors 65816

Have you calibrated the battery?

11. CC424 macrumors regular

I have less than 20 cycles... And I have tried to calibrate it from the instructions from apple's website.