Question about mbp cable

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by thesheephair, Jun 15, 2008.

1. thesheephair macrumors member

I have a linksys router that is set up for wireless internet. I have 2 pcs that are connected to the router by a lan cable. And have a few laptops upstairs connected wirelessly. Is it possible to connect the mpb to the router by a lan cable ? What settings do i need to change?

2. Andrew Henry macrumors 6502a

You don't have to change anything, as long as the router assigns IPs via DHCP, just plug in the ethernet cable and you should be good to go.

3. RITZFit macrumors 65816

RITZFit

you mean like an Ethernet cable? Just plug and go. Its should automatically configure itself

4. merl1n macrumors 65816

merl1n

Yes as long as you have an available port on the router. You can just leave the mpb Network settings using DHCP.

5. thesheephair thread starter macrumors member

it wont work :(

says no ip address under the ethernet bit

6. merl1n macrumors 65816

merl1n

Then either your ethernet cable is bad, your port on the router is bad, your port on the mac is bad, or you are plugging into an "upload link port" (for daisy chaining routers) or wan port on the router. You also need to check the router to see if you have DHCP enabled. Use one of your other computers for that and go to http:/192.168.1.1 to get into your router.

What is the router model?

7. merl1n macrumors 65816

merl1n

Also check the "Access Restrictions" tab on your router and see if the "allow" or "deny" buttons are checked and whether you have a "policy" enabled. You may have to edit the configuration table.