Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

thesheephair

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 16, 2007
I have a linksys router that is set up for wireless internet. I have 2 pcs that are connected to the router by a lan cable. And have a few laptops upstairs connected wirelessly. Is it possible to connect the mpb to the router by a lan cable ? What settings do i need to change?

Andrew Henry

macrumors 6502a
Mar 4, 2008
I have a linksys router that is set up for wireless internet. I have 2 pcs that are connected to the router by a lan cable. And have a few laptops upstairs connected wirelessly. Is it possible to connect the mpb to the router by a lan cable ? What settings do i need to change?

You don't have to change anything, as long as the router assigns IPs via DHCP, just plug in the ethernet cable and you should be good to go.

merl1n

macrumors 65816
Mar 30, 2008
New Jersey, USA

Yes as long as you have an available port on the router. You can just leave the mpb Network settings using DHCP.

merl1n

macrumors 65816
Mar 30, 2008
New Jersey, USA
it wont work :(

says no ip address under the ethernet bit

Then either your ethernet cable is bad, your port on the router is bad, your port on the mac is bad, or you are plugging into an "upload link port" (for daisy chaining routers) or wan port on the router. You also need to check the router to see if you have DHCP enabled. Use one of your other computers for that and go to http:/192.168.1.1 to get into your router.

What is the router model?

merl1n

macrumors 65816
Mar 30, 2008
New Jersey, USA
Then either your ethernet cable is bad, your port on the router is bad, your port on the mac is bad, or you are plugging into an "upload link port" (for daisy chaining routers) or wan port on the router. You also need to check the router to see if you have DHCP enabled. Use one of your other computers for that and go to http:/192.168.1.1 to get into your router.

What is the router model?

Also check the "Access Restrictions" tab on your router and see if the "allow" or "deny" buttons are checked and whether you have a "policy" enabled. You may have to edit the configuration table.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.