Question about MBP in clamshell mode

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by MaskedCarrot, Jul 21, 2015.

1. MaskedCarrot macrumors regular

I want to use my 2015 '13 rMBP while at home with a monitor, and I was wondering if there was a way to turn on the laptop without opening the screen?

All the articles I've read state that you need to open the lid, turn the laptop on, and then after the external monitor lights up then you can close the lid of the laptop.

But that seems like such a bother if I want to use it like a desktop when at home. That is why I was hoping there was a way to use the computer without opening the lid initially.

2. mickeydean macrumors 6502

I used it in clamshell. You need to allow devices to wake the mac from sleep via bluetooth.

Assuming you use bluetooth keyboard and mouse. I assume without using bluetooth devices you might have to do as they say unless you wake via ethernet.

3. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

You can't wake from a power off state but you can wake from a sleep by clicking the mouse. Side note for you the MacBook in its sleep state only draws 1.5~1.75 watts of power so sleeping isn't that bad. When off and plugged in the power draw is still around 0.25 watts on the adaptor.

4. Ray2 macrumors 6502a

What I do is have a scheduled start-up in the morning and shut it down when I wrap up in the evening (could have a scheduled shutdown as well). So far the Energy Saver feature has been totally reliable on Yosemite. First Mac in a long time that its been totally reliable.

5. MaskedCarrot thread starter macrumors regular

One thing that has me concerned is what impact the heat will play on the screen being that the lid will be closed while using the monitor.

I've heard different arguments about that. A few say that it ruined the coating on their retina screen while others say they have been using their rMBP in clamshell mode for years without any effect.

On my rMBP, I hardly ever hear the fans kick in. I know it gets a tad warm at times, but I guess not enough for the fan to kick on. The only time recently my fan has kicked on was when I was updating Windows 10 to the latest build, and the fan only came on for maybe 10 seconds, and then went off.

6. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

Apple specify it's ok so any issues caused would be covered not that it will be an issue as the keyboard isn't vented

7. Ray2 macrumors 6502a

I use iStats and looked closely at the temps when I bought my Arc stand. To mount with the Apple logo in its correct orientation the exhaust vents end up on the bottom (counterintuitive to me).

There's at most 1F variability between vents down, up and lid open. And it's not consistent for any of them.

Don't worry about heat. It's been designed right. Using a 2014 13" rMBP.

8. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Nah... it won't hurt anything. Apple even has an official page here telling you how to use clamshell mode.

My 13" rMBP is my only computer and it runs in clamshell mode for weeks at a time and I never have any trouble.

9. ckWTB macrumors member

ckWTB

As others have mentioned to operate in clamshell mode you have to options:

- With the laptop powered down make sure you have an external power supply, monitor and keyboard/mouse connected, either wired connection or Bluetooth, then press the power button and quickly close the screen. There is no need to wait for the external screen to light up before closing the laptop screen, in fact, doing so will allow the laptop screen to trigger and enter into dual-display mode so that when you finally do close the laptop screen the computer has to switch back to clamshell mode, which causes a slight delay in the booting process.

- With the laptop powered up and connected to power, monitor and keyboard/mouse then a single press of the keyboard spacebar is an effective way to quickly initiate clamshell mode.

As far as running your laptop in clamshell mode, there are a number of considerations:

- By using an external monitor instead of the laptops built-in display you are preserving the laptop screen.

- By running your laptop in close-screen mode then you have the unique opportunity to take advantage of significant supplemental cooling, reduction in processor throttling and increase in performance when using a cooling dock.

10. iConnected macrumors 6502a

iConnected

You can actually open the lid a little before the MBP recognises that it has been opened.

This will allow better heat dissipation than having the lid fully shut (eg by allowing heat to dissipate through the keyboard into a more open space).

11. iConnected macrumors 6502a

iConnected

You can also use a stand like the TwelveSouth BookArc to provide better airflow.

Use an oversized BookArc or insert and you can place the MBP hinge down in the stand while also still cracking the screen open a little.

Combine this with waking the MBP from sleep with an external keyboard or mouse (as previously suggested) to avoid constantly removing and replacing the MBP from the stand.

Or you might prefer to place the MBP in the stand with the hinge facing upwards to have the fan discharge hot air from the top instead of the bottom. :)

12. Ray2 macrumors 6502a

Makes no difference. Been there.

13. Ray2 macrumors 6502a

Same temp as laying flat without Arc, have one, tried it.

BookArc makes no difference than letting mine lay flat. I ran with it laying flat for a few weeks before I got my Arc.

14. Ray2 macrumors 6502a

The cooling system on the rMBP is well designed without a need to conjure up ways to "help" it. Mine sits less than 3' away from me, in an fairly empty enclosed wooden bookshelf that's acts like a speaker box. I have good hearing. I hear my fans kick in on Lightroom imports, and rendering video, that's it. The only time I augment cooling is when I start batch rendering during the day and know it will run into the next day. I point a 5" desk fan at it. Makes me feel good. I can't recall the difference with or without fan so it must not have been anything material.

15. mlts22 macrumors 6502a

There are programs like InsomniaX which can allow the MBP to run with the lid closed and prevent it from sleeping as well.