Question about MBP + Thunderbolt Display + Lid Closed

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Star Nuts, Sep 6, 2012.

1. Star Nuts macrumors member

If I connect a MBP to a Thunderbolt Display and keep the lid closed, it's still operational. From this point, does the MBP perform as if the lid were open? Meaning, it can be awaken for things like network access from an Apple TV?

2. zipur macrumors 6502

Funny I was just wondering almost the same thing. I am concerned if the battery will degrade if you have the MacBook plugged in for long, long periods of time. I was wondering what the long term affect of extended docking has on the MBP

3. saberahul macrumors 68040

Huh?

When you close the lid and have an external display, external keyboard, external mouse - it will be operational. Otherwise it will sleep.

In regards to waking for network access, if it is connected via ethernet and your “Wake on LAN” is enabled - it will wake up when the ping is received.

If you have a newer computer that supports Power Nap - that’s a different thing altogether.

4. derbothaus macrumors 601

derbothaus

Not at all close to the same thing but you're going to want to use the battery at least once a month (1 cycle drain and recharge) or risk loosing amounts of capacity. A charged ion battery likes movement to stay healthy. I wouldn't worry too much about it but a few cycles a month would do it some good. Like exercise:)

5. ixodes macrumors 601

ixodes

6. terraphantm macrumors 68040

Doesn't need an external keyboard and mouse to not sleep. Just needs the display and power. I do this pretty frequently to watch movies on my TV

7. asdad123 macrumors regular

Mine works exactly the same while connected to the thunderbolt display and lid closed and normal use without the monitor.

8. saberahul macrumors 68040

Mine falls asleep… maybe cus I am not using the TB display.

9. kjlake macrumors member

My does not sleep and it's connected to a samsung HDTV via HDMI. As long as the display is recognized before you close the macbook, it should work...

10. gentlefury macrumors 68030

yes

11. M5RahuL macrumors 68020

M5RahuL

If I connect mine [ via HDMI ] to my Panasonic VT30 [ Plasma ], and close the lid, the computer goes to sleep!

Is there a setting that needs be changed to disable this ?

Thanks!

12. terraphantm macrumors 68040

Computer has to be plugged into power, otherwise it'll sleep

13. Conformium macrumors newbie

i use it with the lid closed for work every day. Works perfectly. Other posters are correct, when plugged it, it will not sleep.

14. rlantagne21 macrumors newbie

Like other posters have mentioned, it has to be plugged in for power, plugged into the TV, but in order for it not to go to sleep when you close the lid, you need to have an application open. If all you apps are closed and you are just viewing your desktop background, it will go to sleep. If you are planning on watching a movie using VLC, Netflix, etc, just start the video and then close the lid, and by the time you sit back down on the couch, you will watching your movie on your TV. :cool: