Question about Menu Bar and Finder

Discussion in 'macOS' started by consentient, Nov 20, 2013.

1. consentient macrumors newbie

Hello everyone

Could anyone tell me if there is a way so that Finder doesn't monopolise the menu bar unless I actually click on the Finder icon in the dock?

The reason this is annoying me is that if I have several applications open and I am moving between them, then hide all but one and then switch to, say iTunes, I'll click onto the Menu bar and start looking for a command, and then realise that actually, it's not the iTunes Bar but the Finder bar.

Essentially, I want to restrict Finder from having its commands appear there unless I am actually using the app in a window.

Can this kind of configuration be done?

I'm used to Linux, so obviously in most DEs the FM (e.g. Nautilus) doesn't appear on any panel or whatever unless a Nautilus instance is actually running.

It's kinda annoying, especially because I transcode a lot of music files into Apple Lossless and when I go to iTunes to add them to my library, I often end up in the Finder menu bar without wanting to.

Cheers.

2. satcomer macrumors 603

satcomer

First study the Apple document OS X keyboard shortcuts. Also if you use a third party router bookmark the Apple document Well known TCP and UDP ports used by Apple software products.

In Apple the Finder always run, it has always be that way. Get used to using the Dock. A little glowing dot will appear under the program icon in the Dock. Lastly look at another apple document Mac basics.

One more thing: Bookmark the site MacUpdate.com. As far as something that can replace Photoshop is a shareware program that IMHO is really on the way to doing that called Pixelmator. Unless you really hard core this program takes all the advantages of OS X and is top notch.

For Office programs I also recommend something like LibreOffice.

3. consentient thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks, but my question is not about those things. I'm fully aware of the keyboard shortcuts, and the fact that Finder is always running. I'm wondering if someone knows of a way for it run WITHOUT monopolising the Menu Bar.

Intuitively, access to the Menu Bar should be prioritised according to the reverse order of last usage. So if I'm in iTunes, switch to XLD, when I switch back I should have iTunes in Menu Bar, not Finder.

I'm guessing your post was aimed at making me feel more comfortable with the Mac, and I thank you for that. Rest assured I am not going back to another OS. I'm very happy with my MacBook Pro and the Mavericks OS.

However, the above niggle with the Menu Bar and Finder is something that I'm sure someone has developed some code or something for. I'm just hoping I can make contact with that person somehow.

Cheers.