Resolved Question About Messages on iOS and OS X...

Discussion in 'iOS 7' started by KUguardgrl13, Mar 24, 2014.

1. KUguardgrl13, Mar 24, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 24, 2014

KUguardgrl13 macrumors 68020

KUguardgrl13

So I have an iPhone 5 and an rMBP. My bf has an iPhone 5 and an iPad mini. We use iMessages to text back and forth.

Basically I can send him a message from my iPhone, and he can read it on both his devices. If I send it from my rMBP, it goes to a separate thread that he can still read on both devices. Meanwhile if he responds to the rMBP thread, I can only read it on my rMBP. So he accidentally texts me thinking it will go to my phone, but it doesn't. I'm not always on my laptop, so sending to my rMBP (which I'm assuming is my iCloud account instead of my phone #?) isn't the best way to send me something quick.

Is there a way to set up Messages on my rMBP so it will send as my phone #? I'd rather use that instead of iCloud so it can send as SMS if needed. Thanks!

Mods, if this needs to be in another forum, feel free to move it. I wasn't exactly sure where to put it since it's cross-platform and cross-device...

2. EM2013 macrumors 65816

EM2013

Open messages in OS X, then open preferences, then select accounts and choose your phone number.

3. KUguardgrl13 thread starter macrumors 68020

KUguardgrl13

Thanks! I actually had my old iTunes account set up for messages on OS X instead of my iCloud account. But it's sorted out now.

4. cynics macrumors G3

This. Do this to all your devices to avoid confusion. It's easy to overlook whether your sending messages from an email or phone number with iMessage. Even more so if the person you are sending messages too has your email in their contact info of you.