question about Microsoft Office 08

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by C00KiE, Jul 5, 2008.

1. C00KiE macrumors member

C00KiE

I'm still using 04 and basically use it for school. I need the 08 version because i am unable to open certain docs. I'm still new to mac and i read that there were problems with the 08 version. The last thing i need is to be working on a paper for 6 hours and have it crash and lose all my work. Is there any way to avoid this? Also, is there different kinds of 08 versions?

2. vandozza macrumors 6502a

vandozza

office 08 has had several (2 or 3) patches/updates since release.

i have been using office 08 on a macbook SR with no problems at all, for the last 3-4 months.

i would reccomend that you upgrade. there are different versions, but as a student, you should just buy the student/teacher academic version, i believe its licensed for 3 macs/users.

3. Chandler Adaway macrumors 6502a

Chandler Adaway

Aside from me doubting that it would crash in the first place, there is always a chance of it happening..
    So you could just do what I do and save the file alot.

I'm just paranoid like that because I have lost my work WAY to often.
    It's not fun.
    At all.

4. TwinCities Dan macrumors 603

TwinCities Dan

Double Parked out front of the Courthouse
  5. chriscl macrumors 6502

chriscl

6. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

The latest update for 2004 can read the new 2008 formats. You may not actually need to upgrade.

Edit: *Adds chriscl to the list*

7. C00KiE thread starter macrumors member

C00KiE

Thanks. Goood! I don't have to buy anything. Now i just need to figure out what happened to my macbook so i can download that.

8. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

Looks like others have already answered your other questions.

Please allow me to address this. The method that I am going to describe, while a bit tedious, has saved my bacon and others on numerous occasions on both Win Office and Mac Office.

Note, this is for large projects. For example (just a rule of thumb):

A. PowerPoint presentations with over 50 slides, or fewer slides with complex slides, embedded graphics, pics, etc. If you do use pics in your slides, JPEG them to a low level to save space and help PowerPoint. Most projectors are 1024x768 these days so more resolution is a waste.

B. Word documents that are 25 pages or more. Or smaller documents with many embedded charts, graphs, pictures or other objects.

C. All Excel spreadsheets that have formulas.

Again, this is being very conservative, probably anal as some would say, but when you are working on a large project with a deadline, and something goes wrong, you will be happy that you did this.

Here is what I do. Say I have a project that is called, "MyProject" and it is a PowerPoint presentation.

First I create a folder called, "MyProject."

Then I create a new file and save it with the the date and a letter after the name like so.

MyProject - 20080706a.ppt

After a while, usually when I make many changes, I change the name to the next letter like so:

MyProject - 20080706b.ppt

And so on throughout the day.

The following day, the first thing that I do is open the last version I was working on, and save it as:

MyProject - 20080707a.ppt

I use this pattern until I am done. Once done, if all works well, I save the file as:

MyProject - Final.ppt

or use the presentation date such as if it was presented on the 12th:

MyProject - 20080712.ppt

I then delete the old files. But not until I am completely done. The reason for this, is sometimes there is a corruption in the file that is carried forward. If you don't keep your backups, you cannot go back to the version where the corruption did not exist. One time, we went back a few days until we found a good copy. This was using Word 2002.

One of the funniest PowerPoint corruption that I ever saw, was on a presentation that had about 100 slides. All of a sudden, the slides reduced themselves to thumbnail images (flush to the upper left of the slide) upon the slide they were on. Only the thumbnail and solid color background showed. If you went to the thumbnail view, you could see the slides with their little thumbnails. There was nothing we could do to recover that file.

We restarted everything and opened the last saved version and continued from there. Luckily we had a fairly recent backup so it was easy to recover and move on.

9. nadyne macrumors 6502a

I see that others have already pointed you to the latest Office 2004 update (11.5), which adds native support for .docx, .xlsx, and .pptx files.

About Office 2008, there are three different versions. All three versions include Word, PowerPoint, Excel, and Entourage. The three versions are as follows:
    Home and Student Edition - has three licenses for use in your household; does not include Exchange Server support or Automator Actions
    Standard Edition - one license, includes support for Exchange and Automator
    Special Media Edition - everything in Standard Edition, plus the application Expression Media

If you're in university, you might want to check with your campus bookstore to see if they have special prices for students. If not, it's nearly back-to-school shopping season, so you might want to watch for a good sale.

Regards,
    Nadyne.

10. patrickmacrumor macrumors regular

Did Apple get their idea about Time Machine from you? You are actually your own Time Machine.

Joke aside, I, too, have been using a similar method. It's nice to be able to go back to a version prior to a specific change.

--
    Patrick

11. mwchris macrumors regular

I need to get in the habit of saving like that. I never had problems till I started using the Mac version of MS Office 2008. Just the other day had a big term paper due and it ended up being currupt several versions back. Needless to say I had to redo a lot of it.

Anyway, I would also like to add/ask, the main problem/issue I have had with 08 is that if a word document is created on a windows computer and I double click it to open it - it will just open a new document. In order for me to see the document I have to do a File Open.

Does anyone else have this problem?? I googled it and have found problems on the net. I did an update and thought I fixed it, but it keeps doing it randomly.

12. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

:)

I've been using this method since the mid 70s.

It has served me well over the years with all types of apps.

This is the type of situation where that method is very useful.

Not sure about the rest -- at least it is not ringing any bells in my head. Sorry.