Question about migrating from old Mac to a new one

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by g-boac, Apr 21, 2010.

1. g-boac macrumors 6502

Question - I just purchased a new 15.4" aluminum unibody MacBook Pro, and want to upgrade from my old 13" black late 2007 Santa Rosa MacBook using Migration Assistant.

Does this automatically deauthorize or otherwise transfer my iTunes and Applications (such as Photoshop, which requires authorization similar to iTunes; or MS Word, which requires a Product Key) on my old computer and reactivate them on my new computer; or do I need to do this for each individual program?

What I don't want to happen is have both computers using licenses - I'd like to fully deactivate my MacBook and release any licenses on here (e.g., Photoshop allows up to two computers to be activated, iTunes allows up to five) so that only my new MacBook Pro is licensed. I ultimately intend on passing my MacBook on.

thanks!
    Mark

2. stridemat Moderator

stridemat

Staff Member

Some applications will work well with Migration Assistant, while others may require a the serial number to be entered again.

Before you remove all the files from your old MacBook deauthorize your iTunes account, this will allow you to reauthorize your new iTunes library.