Question about migration assistant

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Ravich, Sep 15, 2010.

1. Ravich macrumors 6502a

My Mac Pro arrived a few days ago and after installing HDDs and an SSD boot drive, I went ahead and installed OSX. Then I transferred my home folder to a storage drive. All good so far.

Then I used migration assistant and connected my Mac Pro to my Macbook Pro. There were a bunch of options, but since I didnt want to transfer my entire account to my boot drive, and I dont want documents and music files etc on my boot drive either, I just checked the applications folder and unchecked everything else.

Here are my questions:

1) When I "get info" on my applications folder, it says it is about 9GB, but migration assistant said it was 22GB or so. Can someone explain to me why this is?

2) While my applications seem to have transferred over successfully and I can run them, I am wondering about things like why stickies is brand new, and why iStat Pro doesnt exist in my dashboard. I'm just trying to get an idea of what didnt transfer and understand why

Edit: Also things like how on my MBP I have it set so that doc files are always opened by microsoft word instead of text edit. What determines that?

Thanks!

2. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

1. It most probably includes the Macintosh HD / Library / Application Support or Macintosh HD / Users / YOU / Library / Application Support folders and some others the applications might need. Some applications install support files that amount to several GigaBytes (Garage Band for example).

2. Help! Recover Dashboard Stickies Content!!!! via "dashboard stickies location"
    For iStat Pro maybe have a look at the Widget folders in Macintosh HD / Library and Macintosh HD / Users / YOU / Library.

3. Does that answer your question? OS X: How to Change Default Application to Open File Type via "mac os x change open with"

Resources regarding the Migration Assistant: