Question about migration from Lion to Lion

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Narpstar, Nov 24, 2011.

1. Narpstar macrumors newbie

Hi guys,

I'm upgrading my iMac, but downgrading my HDD size. I currently have a 2TB HDD, but the new iMac I'm getting tomorrow only has a 1TB HDD. I've used up over 1TB of space on my current HDD, so I'm obviously not going to be able to do a complete migration from TM to the new iMac.

I want to migrate all of my system settings such as Launchpad layout, Mission Control configuration, Dock layout, etc. I also want some of my files from my old iMac on my new one.

My question is: Can this be done, and what is the best way to do it? I'd like to be able to just delete some unnecessary files from my old iMac, then do a complete migration. Is this possible?

I have a Time Capsule and my whole system is backed up in Time Machine. Both systems are running Lion 10.7.2.

Thanks for your help!

2. Narpstar thread starter macrumors newbie

Oh, never mind, I just realised Migration Assistant can be completely independent from Time Machine. So I'll just delete enough of my unnecessary files from my old iMac to be able to perform a full migration, and I'll still have a backup of everything on my Time Capsule.

Cheers anyway guys!