Question about MobileMe and Gmail

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by amro, Jul 7, 2008.

1. amro macrumors 6502

So, I have searched the forum for a specific question I have about MobileMe and Gmail. It was briefly touched upon here but not really addressed.

So, I want to stay with my Gmail address as well as avoid sending everyone I know my .me address.

1. I know I can set gmail to forward my emails to the .me address thereby giving me the "push" I want.

2. My concern is when I compose or reply to an email from the iPhone. Can both compose and reply be setup such that the recipient sees that it came from Gmail?

I even went to an Apple store and none of the guys knew the answer to that one.

Also, I'm well aware of Gmail's current imap ability and that I could setup the iPhone to poll every so often in order to pull. I just don't want to do that.

Thanks,
    Amro

2. admanimal macrumors 68040

It is technically possible for MobileMe to support this (like Gmail does, for example) but until someone actually can look at the software, I don't think we will know the answer for sure (unless the answer has appeared in one of the promo videos that I haven't seen).

3. amro thread starter macrumors 6502

4. skierdb526 macrumors regular

i was curious about this too. I cant justify getting mobile me when I have gmail and webspace available to me. i like that you can sync ical and contacts, but beyond that im not sold on it.

5. Van Wildonher macrumors 6502a

6. mavis macrumors 68040

mavis

Here is a capture from the 2.0 walkthrough video posted at Gizmodo (click the pic to watch the whole thing):

[​IMG]

It looks like we will FINALLY be able use an alternate reply-to address! :D

7. tp2008 macrumors newbie

I was having a look at this the other week on my .mac account. If you log in on the mac.com website, go to:

Mail
    Preferences
    Click on the Composing tab

Then there is the option, next to "Identity" to set a "send mail as" email address.

I've tested this in the past with gmail and it works fine. So push gmail email with all the .mac trimmings.

8. ApplEngineer macrumors regular

Does it actually allow you to enter an email address because when I try it won't let me because of the '@' symbol. If I can get this to work, then its everything I need.

9. drewfus macrumors 6502

drewfus

I don't think that works. I just tried it, and it gave me an error, saying that there could only be letters and numbers. I think that just lets you change the name that the e-mail recipient sees when you send them an e-mail from the .mac account.

10. HymerSchmidt macrumors newbie

HymerSchmidt

I'm glad this was answered. And it looks like a function of Mail.app so I can use Exchange without a sacrifice.