Question about monitor daisy chain.

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Traverse, Jul 1, 2015.

1. Traverse macrumors 603

Traverse

I've googled this and I think the answer is no, but I wanted to ask just in case.

I have a Dell Ultrasharp U2415H with a Display Port to mini display port cable. I have an older 1080p LG monitor that either takes DVI (via thunderbolt adaptor) or HDMI. Right now, to have them both in use I have to use up both thunderbolt ports.

Is it possible to daisy chain the LG to the DELL via HDMI? Is there anyway to get a signal from the dell to the LG so that when I use my computer in clamshell mode I can plug in one cable and power both displays? It's not a huge issue, but would make my desk a little neater.

Thanks.

2. Dark Void macrumors 68030

Dark Void

3. Traverse thread starter macrumors 603

Traverse

[​IMG]
    From Dell:
    Connectivity

2 HDMI(MHL) connector
    1 Mini DisplayPort
    1 DisplayPort (version 1.2)
    1 DisplayPort out (MST)
    1 Audio Line out (connect your speakers)
    5 USB 3.0 ports - Downstream (5 at the back, 1 with battery charging)
    1 USB 3.0 port - Upstream

I've tried plugging in the thunderbolt adapter into the mini display port on the Dell and I tried plugging the HDMI cable in both monitors, but no signal gets to the LG.

4. Dark Void macrumors 68030

Dark Void

If it's going to work at all you're going to want Thunderbolt/DisplayPort cables doing the chaining. Let's see if I can draw this...

[LG Monitor]-HDMI Cable-HDMI Female/Thunderbolt--DP Female[Dell Monitor]--DisplayPort Cable--->MacBook.

In any case I don't think it will work because the connection from the LG will still read as HDMI but this is the best confusing plan I can think of.

5. Traverse thread starter macrumors 603

Traverse

You mean I would need to buy an HDMI to Mini Display port adapter to plug the LG into the Dell. Hmm. I'd do that if I knew for sure it'd work.

Thanks, I'll look into it.

6. Dark Void macrumors 68030

Dark Void

You seem to have it, but let me try to clarify what I would suggest.

You take a standard HDMI to HDMI cable and plug one end into the LG monitor, and the other end into the HDMI female end of an HDMI/DisplayPort adapter. You take the male end of that adapter and plug it into one of the female DisplayPort ports on the Dell. Then you use the DisplayPort out port on the Dell to connect the entire chain to the laptop via a DisplayPort cable.

I will reiterate that it is likely to fail though because the initial connect from the LG will still be read as HDMI.

7. Traverse thread starter macrumors 603

Traverse

That's what I thought you meant, but I agree that it's likely not to work :/
    I'll probably give it a shot anyway.