Question about monitors.

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Dyango, Oct 4, 2010.

1. Dyango macrumors member

Hey everyone,

I've been looking for a monitor to link to my uMB when I'm at home and, as everyone, I'm looking for the best I can get in a certain price range, also I don't want to go further than 300€ .

During my researches I've found a Dell screen that seems interesting to me but I wanted to check with you guys to see what you think.

For further information, I'd like to use it for some amateur photography editing and some digital painting, which is what is a bit annoying to do on a 13" screen.

The monitor:

SP2309W Mostly because of its great resolution.

Anyone has some experience with it? Or any suggestion about a different model?

PS: sorry if this has been asked before but I thought it was specific enough to not be a repeated topic.

2. dissolve macrumors 6502a

If you're really interested in photography, you should seriously consider an IPS or VA panel. Both are less common than the TN panels seen everywhere, but you'll get much better color accuracy and viewing angles. I'm not sure of the price or availability outside the US, but the Dell U2311h is a very affordable IPS panel. That'd be my recommendation based on your post.

3. DouchGod macrumors regular

DouchGod

I have a dell monitor and think they are excellent panels, you would not regret getting one.

4. jampat macrumors 6502a

Another vote for Dell U series for photo editing. Avoid the SP's if you care about colour accuracy. Dell has them on sale over here for $200-$300 off routinely.

5. gri macrumors 6502a

gri

Had 2 Dell 30', both were defective. One after few months with dead pixels, the replacement after 5 hours with one half of the screen just producing noise. Now have a new old but still beautiful 30' ACD (probably one of the last ones)... Considered an Eizo as well...

6. Dyango thread starter macrumors member

Thanks guys, I had seen that Dell IPS before but, for some strange reason, it is still quite expensive in Europe compared to the US. Anyway, I see that your recommendations would go more in the direction of an IPS screen rather than TN ones.

The thing is that most of them are quite out of my budget, being the Dell probably the most interesting (and the cheapest) one so, what I could do, is just to wait for the EU prices to drop a bit, to reach the level of the US more or less.

7. No1nfoProvided macrumors 6502

How about the MVA panels? TN panels are the worst for photo editing, so I would highly recommend you save for an IPS or MVA panel. Calibration software is pretty crucial too depending on how serious you are about it.

8. dissolve macrumors 6502a

The only issue with MVA panels is their low availability. Unless I've missed some, I haven't seen any with a price as low as the Dell U2311h (in the US). Dell also has a 21.5" version of this monitor you could try. I got really lucky and found an LG PVA monitor refurbished for cheap. You can certainly go that route OP, it just takes some luck. Dell has an Outlet page you could look at. Maybe those will be within your budget.

9. MacHamster68 macrumors 68040

MacHamster68

the dell's are not bad monitors , i prefer the samsung sync master range , i had a Hp 2210i and was not really happy with it ,but thought give that glossy display a chance ,no good idea , sold it ,i still would only buy matte displays , sorry but i just hate reflections on my screen , i said it before if i need a mirror i go in the bathroom or bedroom , but i dont want one on my desk, and the non reflecting display was the big selling point for me over a crt screen , but now these glossy screens are back to square one more expensive then a crt and more glossy then the display in my eMac , so no advantage there if you just need a 17 inch display , for me the only selling point of a lcd is, its lighter and you can get bigger screens if you really feel you need one, and it looks better on the side of a white iMac then a crt , if its white too that is