Question about movies, data...

Discussion in 'iPad' started by elaniemay, Mar 10, 2012.

1. elaniemay, Mar 10, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 10, 2012

elaniemay macrumors 6502

elaniemay

I plan to use my iPad to its full extent, with my purposes in mind. Right now I use it for school (pages, Internet classes, Evernote storing assignments), Internet browsing, some gaming (not much; words with friends, pawn'd, nerdy word games), mobile desktop with splashtop, and light photo editing (photography is a serious hobby of mine).

I don't read books or magazines on it (aside from text books), watch movies/television shows, store many photos, or listen to music. Now, that is going to change when I receive the 3rd gen iPad. My iPhone has tons of photos stored on it, so much so that I am constantly having to dump and rework things due to space issues (never buying anything but the highest capacity ever again!). I plan to keep more photos on my iPad as I enjoy editing on a larger screen. I will use photoshop for my "good" photos, obviously, but photos taken with my phone will be edited on my iPad. I also want to learn more about watching movies/shows.

This brings me to my point (listed the background info to hopefully avoid the, "why on earth did you get a 64GB" blah blah stuff) of how does data effect work with movies? I am completely ignorant on the subject. I haven't watched more than five movies in seven years (besides kid-related films) because I don't like being interrupted and I have three kids. I want to change that. I don't want to eat a ton of data though. Am I making sense? It's early and I haven't had coffee yet, so I apologize if I don't and would be glad to clear any fuzzy parts up for you.

And I know, I ramble. If you made it through and have some advice, thanks :)

2. porcupine8 macrumors 6502a

You can use zero data by watching the movies over wifi or by transferring them to your iPad via wifi or iTunes and watching them locally.

Also, I don't think you will find anyone on this forum who would ask why on earth you have 64GB. :)

3. iDvisic macrumors member

Why on earth did you get a 64gb???

:D

Someone had to say it.

I've got a 64gb comin' too. :)

-->iDv.

4. elaniemay thread starter macrumors 6502

elaniemay

So if I pay for a month of 4G, I can toggle that off while I'm in a wifi hotspot if I choose to? And -- prepare for a big dose of ignorance -- how do I transfer them to my iPad via wifi? These are movies that are already downloaded (that I purchased from iTunes?) that you are referencing, right?

It is amazing how knowledgeable I can be about "x" and how completely vacant of information my mind can be about "y," hehe.

5. whtrbt7 macrumors 6502a

If you purchase the 4G version of the iPad, you can switch off your 4G connection by going to Settings --> General --> Network. You can still be on WiFi if you shut off your 4G connection. if you purchase any movies on iTunes, you will be able to download the movie via any connection and then it will stay resident in your iPad until you delete it. The purchased movie will stay on your iTunes account even when you delete it from the iPad so you can redownload movies at any point.

6. porcupine8 macrumors 6502a

Yup, no need to use 4G when wifi is around.

I'm referencing whatever movies you have or want. There are several ways to download movies directly to your iPad, including through iTunes, or you can download them or rip DVDs to your computer, and then transfer them wirelessly via wireless sync, iCloud, Dropbox, or probably other methods.

7. phpmaven macrumors 68040

phpmaven

Well, you'd be wrong then. Just a few days ago somebody started a thread titled "how in the world are you guys using 64 GB"

8. iDvisic macrumors member

It just occurred to me that I've been assuming the answer to the following question(s) (on my iPhone, as I don't have an iPad yet):

Does the connection default to wifi? As in, if I have both cellular and wifi enabled, if a wireless hotspot is present it will download the data that way? Or do you have to manually disable cellular to be sure?

-->iDv.

9. whtrbt7 macrumors 6502a

Some data may slip to the cellular connection depending on what applications or services you use. If you want to be absolutely sure that you are using WiFi, you should shut down the cellular connection before switching to WiFi. If you don't really care like me on an unlimited plan, you just keep everything running all of the time. If WiFi times out, most of the time it drops down to the cellular connection.

10. porcupine8 macrumors 6502a

I should've known - someone somewhere will complain about anything, including other people's purchases. :p