Question about moving itunes data to another computer

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by dvir971, Oct 15, 2011.

1. dvir971 macrumors regular

dvir971

Hello,
    First I need to say that my computer runs Windows 7
    I Have an iPhone that synced with a computer. now i bought a new one and i want to sync the iphone to it without losing anything- I want to move all the data from the itunes in the first computer, to the new one without losing anything (and specially keep the app data- I Havent bought any music in the iTunes store).
    If I copy the "Itunes media" folder from the first computer to the new one, and than authorize the computer with the app store account, and than plug the iphon e and choose "transfer purchases" and than backup the iphone, will that be enough and i can start syncing the iphone to the new computer withou problem and without losing anything or i should do more things?

2. neocerebrum macrumors newbie

I'm trying to figure out the same thing. I bought a new computer and downloaded iTunes and authorized it by logging in with my Apple ID. But now when I plug in my iPhone (with about three years of data, favorites, settings, notes, apps, screenshots, and more), iTunes says "Updating to iOS5 will delete all of the apps, and media, including iTunes Store purchases, on your iPhone." What??? After all the money I've spent with Apple, they are going to reward me by deleting all of the data on my iPhone???? That just doesn't make sense! :confused:

3. Mal macrumors 603

Mal

Don't just move the "iTunes Media" folder. Move the entire iTunes folder that contains that iTunes Media folder (you should see other files in there, and in particular an iTunes Library.itl file). Replace the existing iTunes folder on the Mac with that folder. Then, it should treat the iPhone as if it has been syncing all along with that library, because it has.

Also, try signing up for iCloud and doing a backup before you do any of that, just in case.

jW

4. dvir971 thread starter macrumors regular

dvir971

I Have Winows 7, nit mac. Will it work too? and do you mean the "iTunes" folder in "My Music".
    And after i do this, i need to transfer purchases and all that, or it will work right away?

5. neocerebrum macrumors newbie

Apple's website says you can just copy your iTunes folder from your old computer onto a flash drive or hard drive, then delete the iTunes folder on your new computer and copy and paste your old iTunes folder onto your new computer and it will work just fine. Note: I tried it myself in the past before I had iCloud and it worked. http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1751 (click on the link that says "Restoring your iTunes Library Backup")

Side NOTE:iCloud is a way around all of this. It just worked for me. Backup your iPhone to iCloud, then activate your new computer iTunes account and download purchases from iCloud, then attach your iPhone to your new computer and transfer all purchases, then select Sync and it should work just fine. Note: you must first upgrade your iPhone to iOS5 on your old computer so that you have iCloud. Alternatively, you can eliminate the computer all together and just backup to iCloud, then restore your new iPhone from iCloud. good luck. :) :cool: