Question about moving iTunes library and purchases to a new computer

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by ahrenba, Jul 10, 2008.

1. ahrenba macrumors member

Hey Guys,

I have a 16gb iPod touch and am on Windows XP currently.

I am thinking about getting a new laptop soon for college. Now, I would need to transfer all my iTunes library and purchases to the new computer.

I know that all the music that I own (not purchased from iTunes that is), I can just copy on over to the new computer and then import, but what about the other stuff?

Can someone give me the steps for transferring iTunes purchased content over to a new computer? By purchased content I mean Music, Videos, and Apps from the new app store? How will I move and authorize each of these things?

Also, if I do end up getting a MacBook (which I am really leaning towards), what will need to be done since I am using my iPod with Windows now? Thanks.

EDIT: I have iTunes download to a single folder and organize itself there. Can I just copy all the files from this folder over to the new computer? If so, what do I need to do as far as authorization/deauthorization?

2. mosx macrumors 65816

Well, you can't use your iPod to move the files because Apple doesn't allow access to the file system on the iPod touch or iPhone.

So you'll need to move it all over using the network, DVDs, or another external storage device.

To authorize the new computer, the easiest way is to just double click the file in iTunes and it will ask you to authorize right there. Type in your password and you're done. To deauthorize the old, just click Store then De-Authorize and type in your password.

You can transfer purchases and such over the same way you'd transfer over your ripped music. Just throw it all on an external drive, or burn the files to data DVD (you can use iTunes to backup your library to DVD if you like), or you can shoot it over the network.

3. icecold0913 macrumors member

when moving the files as stated above, you will be able to play your purchased music simply by authorizing your account in your new iTunes. no complicated file moving. just be sure to deauthorize the old like he said.

make sure when you do the move you copy everything in your iTunes folder, including the library data files. this way all of your playlists, song counts, ratings, etc will also move and be accurate on your new computer.

when you plug your iPod into your new macbook, iTunes will prompt you to reformat it for mac and then does it automatically. after this it cannot be synced with windows again unless reformatted back to windows.

4. ahrenba thread starter macrumors member

Thanks guys for the help.

One other question. With these new apps from the appstore, will authorizing the new computer also allow these new apps to be on there?

How does that work?

EDIT: Also, I have an external hard drive (formatted with NTFS), if I plug this into a mac, will it read it? If not, how can I use an external hard drive with both a PC and a Mac? Thanks.

EDIT 2: Where do I copy the iTunes folder from Windows to a Mac?