Question About Moving Lion and Bootcamp Partition to new SSD

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by LeGacY X, Jul 10, 2012.

1. LeGacY X macrumors member

LeGacY X

Hello, I'm sorry if this has been answered already, but I've been searching the forums for a while and haven't been able to find a clear answer. My roommate is getting a new SSD for his macbook and needs an easy way to move both his OSX and Bootcamp Partition to the new drive. He has a Time Machine backup, however I am under the impression that this doesn't back up his bootcamp partition. Is there any easy (and free) to do this? :confused: Thanks in advance!

2. gentlefury macrumors 68030

Time machine will get the mac partition as it was....bootcamp is another story tho. You will need a 3rd party ghost utility for that. I just end up doing a restore for Mac and a fresh install on windows...but I only have games on the windows side...so its not too hard.

3. theSeb macrumors 604

theSeb

Winclone can do this and it used to be free, but I believe it's a paid application now. Time Machine cannot backup your Bootcamp partition. I've tried using the built-in Windows backup to do this before I knew about Winclone and it was a complete disaster since it does not just restore itself into the bootcamp partition. It insists on taking over your whole drive and I lost my OSX partition. Ooops.

4. daleski75 macrumors 68000

daleski75

Winclone is the way to go there are other methods but they are far too time consuming and could lead to data loss.

5. LeGacY X thread starter macrumors member

LeGacY X

Thanks for the replies. Looks like Winclone it is!:rolleyes: