Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Jwolffy25

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 26, 2009
Hello all... used the forums a lot for reference, but couldn't find my specific problem.

My Core Duo Macbook recently decided it was thirsty, so a friend of my obliged and spilled some juice on it. I turned it over right away, took out the power, removed the battery. I gave into temptation and tried to get the bugger working a bit laterr (it wasn't muuuch liquid, I know I shouldn't have, don't scold me, Im sad enough), and it turned on, but the keyboard didnt work. I've left it upside down and off and disconnected for about 24 hours... its humid here, so that kinda sucks.

Question: I want to recover the data, like, badly. I was bad at backing up this semester, and have a lot of notes/ essays on it I need. Wanted suggestions. My thought was to remove the hard drive and put it in a different machine... but I was wondering if I would then have to reinstall OSX on either my machine or the new one (I'd be using a friends', and he already isnt too keen to let me play amateur macbook doctor on it).

My other option is to risk it and try and turn the machine on again. I can scrounge up an external keyboard, or I heard there is a universal keyboard you can click on screen. I password protected my account, regretting that now.

A different question... wanted to know people's suggestions to proceed. I intend to bring the computer into the Apple Store Saturday (about 60 hours post spill, I'm impatient) and play dumb/ show some cleavage. I'm a dude, so I doubt that will help much. I know spillage voids the warranty, but it appears only the keyboard was damaged, and I still have the defective cracking top case, so maybe theyll do the keyboard to :)? I will see what they quote a keyboard replacement, but wont pay much, I bought the Macbook in 2006, so it had its fun

My question... if I dont replace keyboard, and use an external, its a ticking time bomb with the sugar corroding stuff. Will the Apple Store offer a cleaning service on the innards? I'm not comfortable opening it up and doing it, but if I did, just take rubbing alcohol all over the place?

Thanks for the help, hugs and kisses

Tomorrow

macrumors 604
Mar 2, 2008
Always a day away
If it's dry inside (and after 60 hours I imagine it is), I don't think you're going to make it worse. Sugar isn't corrosive, but the acid in the juice is. If the water from the juice has evaporated, the acid isn't going to do much that it already hasn't done.

That being said, are you able to use the MacBook with an external keyboard? If so, thank your lucky stars - you might only need a keyboard replacement, or even better, just a good cleaning.

If you opt to have it cleaned, you don't need Apple to do it for you - you could take it to almost any decent computer repair shop.

Good luck!

Jwolffy25

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 26, 2009
If it's dry inside (and after 60 hours I imagine it is), I don't think you're going to make it worse. Sugar isn't corrosive, but the acid in the juice is. If the water from the juice has evaporated, the acid isn't going to do much that it already hasn't done.

That being said, are you able to use the MacBook with an external keyboard? If so, thank your lucky stars - you might only need a keyboard replacement, or even better, just a good cleaning.

If you opt to have it cleaned, you don't need Apple to do it for you - you could take it to almost any decent computer repair shop.

Good luck!

Tomorrow- I actually do not know I can use an external keyboard, I sorta just assumed I could :(

I have a guest account that isn't pw protected, figured I could go through there, get the keyboard working, log into mine and copy my files...

I am a bit worried that even though I got my computer running, it may have hit some important stuff... Some liquid had seeped into the battery enclosure :(

Would prefer not to deal with moving the HDs... im an impatient person and just wanna turn it on so badly now it's not even funny, but I know I musnt, ha. Its been about 24 hours only now... Was gonna try it tomorrow, but Ill at least wait until Saturday to try turning it on (if I dont go with swapping the HD into another Macbook)

Tomorrow

macrumors 604
Mar 2, 2008
Always a day away
Definitely give it another 24 hours or so to dry, unplugged, with the battery out. When you try to start it up, leave the battery out and use the power cord, don't get impatient, and hope for the best.

Or, if you can hold out that long, wait til you get it to the Apple store on Saturday. :D

Jwolffy25

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 26, 2009
still seeking help, will repay in rupees, boxes of lucky charms, or even old Are You Afraid of the Dark VHS tapes.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.