Question about moving to USA

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by AeroUK, Aug 27, 2010.

1. AeroUK macrumors 6502

Hi,

If I take an unlocked iPhone 4 to the USA can I purchase a monthly sim only plan (similar to O2 and Vodafone in the UK).

Or would I have to take out a contract and if so would this be any cheaper as I own the phone?

Best

Aaron

2. ToroidalZeus macrumors 68020

ToroidalZeus

Basically you got two options.

pre-paid (payasyougo) and post-paid

The pre-paid basically sucks big time, especially since in America you get charged for incoming and outgoing calls & txts.

If you go with post paid, then the default policy is to put you into a 2 year contract (person gets commission) but a quick talk to the manager explaining how you are bringing your own phone and they won't do that to you. As for the cost, it would be the same whether you are in a contract (bought a phone subsidized) or not.

3. AeroUK thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks for the reply.

Contract is the way to go.

Are you saying the manager would let me have a monthly contract or would it have to be a year?

4. ToroidalZeus macrumors 68020

ToroidalZeus

Some employee's try putting you into a 2 year contract even though you brought your own phone because they get commission. So it may be necessary to speak to a manager in order to avoid that.

You would pay monthly but you wouldn't be in a contract / could cancel any time w/o any fees.

5. AeroUK thread starter macrumors 6502

That is what I want, otherwise, what is the point of me buying the phone myself!

Thanks for the help I just hope this is the case.

All the agents I spoke to on their website said that 12 months is the minimum!

6. tempusfugit macrumors 65816

T-mobile and AT&T both allow monthly contracts. If they're not subsidizing the hardware they have no leverage with which to tell you there is a minimum period if time for you to have the service.

7. AeroUK thread starter macrumors 6502

But I noticed that Apple Store USA no longer offers the no commitment phones, does this mean they have stopped the no commitment deal now?

8. tempusfugit macrumors 65816

No, that just means they don't market them without contract subsidies because most people would **** their pants if they realized that their phone costs $700.

Believe me, you don't need a yearly contract to get service in the states. Contracts are only to make sure that providers like AT&T make their money back when they subsidize $300-$400 of the phone's cost.

9. AeroUK thread starter macrumors 6502

ok so I should take my unlocked iPhone 4 to a store and ask for a monthly contract. The service charge will still be the same right? About $80 for 2gb data, unlimited SMS and 450 minutes...

10. IrishVixen macrumors 68020

IrishVixen

About $85, before taxes. Sales tax in my area is around 10%, and services aren't exempt. Laws on that vary from place to place, so your total may be different. AT&T should be able to tell you how much your monthly total will end up.

Definitely don't let them push you into a contract as there's no discount to do so. There's no reason you can't go month to month.

11. tempusfugit macrumors 65816