Question about my 13" MBP screen

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by thadoggfather, May 19, 2010.

1. thadoggfather macrumors G3

thadoggfather

I am very perceptive with electronics, but I noticed this:

At the top of the screen, images look darker and crisper and at the bottom they look more bright and less detail.

Here's an example of an icon that should look the same, but it looks distinctly different (and it's not the camera exposure -- what you see is more or less how it is). Should I return the machine and get another? Do you think Apple will even consider it an issue if I wanted to get it replaced? Do you guys have the same thing? I only noticed when I had a lot of the same icon scattered on my desktop and the same icon looks noticeably different. Of course, I am always the person to notice anything about electronics whereas other people would never have so much as a clue.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Edit: even though the video files are what got me seeing that things are different, you can kind of see it with the folder icons as well. Help? Advice?

2. Mark.W macrumors member

I can think of two things:

1) It's the way the light in your room if falling on the screen (i.e. more light falls on the lower part of the screen, making it look brighter and more washed out)

2) You computer has a light leak (pretty common occurrence with laptop screens). This would pretty easy to test: just look at an all-black background in a dark room.

3. thadoggfather thread starter macrumors G3

thadoggfather

It's definitely not #1 because its the same with all the lights off and just backlight showing the screen.

4. Mark.W macrumors member

In that case, it's probably #2. Post a picture of the screen with a black background.

5. Surely Guest

Surely

Why don't you try it again with a solid color as your background?

I'll bet it won't look any different......

I think it's an optical illusion.

6. thadoggfather thread starter macrumors G3

thadoggfather

Ok tried a solid background looking at the icons again. difference isn't as obvious.

the bottom one is slightly brighter probably due to some inevitable light leak at the bottom, but nothing like when i had a non-uniform background.

hmmm, should i exchange it or you think light leak is what is causing this disparity and is probably something that is going on with all 13" models?

7. green86 macrumors 6502

green86

I would try and return it, but thats just me. I feel as though Apple charges so much for these computers that if they aren't perfect, they should make it right.