Question About My AT&T Unlimited Plan

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by jw nyc, Jun 11, 2010.

1. jw nyc macrumors 6502a

So I had the iPhone 3GS but sold it in January for the Nexus One. When I switched, the rep changed my plan from an IPHONE UNLIMITED data plan to just a normal smartphone unlimited data plan. Does this make a difference when I upgrade to the iPhone 4? Will I still be able to keep my unlimited plan!? Thanks.

2. iPhone3GCrazed macrumors 6502

iPhone3GCrazed

From what I've been told MULTIPLE times by AT&T reps, it does NOT make a difference whether you have an unlimited data plan on smartphone or for iPhone.

Cite this video, with special attention to 1:02 through 1:14, if they give you any trouble.

I'm in the same situation as you... I hope they don't give us trouble, but I have a feeling they will. So be prepared with evidence... I have about 15 exhibits to prove my point.

3. jw nyc thread starter macrumors 6502a

I'm going to PM you my email address. Would you be able to send me some "evidence" just in case ;) ? Thanks!

4. iPhone3GCrazed macrumors 6502

iPhone3GCrazed

They are just screenshots of AT&T reps answering similar questions to ours on their official Facebook page. I'll send them to you if you want, but I'm not sure how solid they are. If you're still interested let me know.

5. i-John macrumors 6502a

i-John

I agree, it's pretty clear... but if they give you trouble and you cite a You Tube video, I don't think they'll care. I doubt you'll have any issues though since you're already on a dataplan. I think the only way they may give you hassle is if you're paying less than $30 for it. They may see that is a MediaNet dataplan which probably won't be covered.

6. ntrigue macrumors 68040

ntrigue

I don't see why you would be eligible. They want to transition as many people as possible to corporategreeddataplus.

7. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

I don't care how many videos these guys give you, you're not eligible.

8. iPhone3GCrazed macrumors 6502

iPhone3GCrazed

I've been told, personally, that it doesn't matter if you upgrade your phone or extend your contract you can keep your unlimited data plan, with proof that they told me. So, I'm holding them to that.

9. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

Correct me if I'm wrong, but you HAD an unlimited plan. You don't at the moment, correct?

10. iPhone3GCrazed macrumors 6502

iPhone3GCrazed

I do have an unlimited plan on my account right now. My iPhone 3G was stolen back in March, I switched to a Palm Centro and opted to keep the $30 unlimited smartphone plan, which is what I currently have on my account.

11. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

Okay, well you didn't say anything about it being stolen in the OP. Also, I had thought that only the iPhone had an unlimited plan (I've never heard of a regular smartphone unlimited plan). I'd get something in writing still though even though they "said" you could.

12. 46Chromeboy macrumors newbie

I currently have a Blackberry 9000 and was worried about loosing my unlimited data plan when I buy the iP4. All the reps I have spoke to have said that any smartphone that has unlimted data plan will be grandfathered over, period.

13. jw nyc thread starter macrumors 6502a

I just spoke with an at&t rep and they confirmed that I am, in fact, grandfathered in even though my plan is a regular smartphone unlimited data plan (instead of an iPhone specific one). They said I will have no problem keeping it when I switch to the new iPhone.

14. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

I suggest you read some of the other threads today about what AT&T reps told them. Anyway, get the written verification or don't, but if you come on here in a few weeks whining and don't have written, then I'll be sure to link you to this thread. :)

15. zenoran macrumors regular

wow I just saw a conflicting statement on this video?!?! they said if you get a new phone you don't have to go on to one of the newer plans you can stick with your old data plan? that's bs from everything else I've read/heard.

16. jw nyc thread starter macrumors 6502a

Pretty sure this is blatantly obvious directly from an at&t rep I just chatted with (and saved the convo)...

17. zenoran macrumors regular

Pretty sure a regular smartphone data plans is different than an "IPHONE DATA PLAN." Yes, an iPhone will work on a regular smartphone data plan but you will be required to switch to the one that supports the iPhone if you buy an iPhone through an upgrade process.

I think the only way you're immune to this new plan is if you currently have an iPhone data plan and upgrade to an iPhone.

That's my interpretation at least...

I think for most people the 2gb limit isn't that big of a deal though. I'm a HEAVY data user and I average around 2.5gb/month. That's going to end up costing more for me unless I cut back. But seriously, for most people, they will hardly ever reach that 2gb limit and if you do hit it you just get charged $10 for additional 1gb... not that big of a deal for special circumstances. But for people who always use over 2gb/month with regular usage it's a reason to not change anything and/or leave ATT.

18. dave006 Contributor

dave006

No, No, No.

If you have any valid Smartphone data plan, it is Unlimted or capped or just chapped :D and you can keep it.... or join the 65% of AT&T customers that don't use more then 200 MB per month and save money. Note: There are some Smartphone users that have been using invalid plans so they don't qualify. AT&T has been working since last Sept. to get every Smartphone user on the correct plan and yes, at includes iPhone, Blackberry, Blueberries and other Smartphones. If you have an Unlimited Smartphone plan you GET KEEP IT!

Quote:

Current smartphone customers are not required to switch to the new plans, but can choose to do so without a contract extension. :( :eek: :p

Source: http://www.att.com/gen/press-room?pid=17991&cdvn=news&newsarticleid=30854&mapcode=financial|Wireless

It can't really be that hard to read, is it?

Dave

19. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

You wrote "spoke." So, how would that be obvious to me that you "chatted." I still think you should get something in writing, preferably from a AT&T store manager, who you're going to deal with anyway.

BTW, do you always ask for help and then give out tidbits of info as the thread goes on? :D

20. jw nyc thread starter macrumors 6502a

Ha, I was on the at&t site checking my plan after I started the thread. I got a little popup asking if I wanted to chat with a customer service rep so I thought it would be a good time to ask. I then posted the info here for anyone else that had the same question.

21. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Nope, it wont qualify.
    You need an iphone data plan.

22. jw nyc thread starter macrumors 6502a

This isn't true...read the rest of thread.

23. iPhone3GCrazed macrumors 6502

iPhone3GCrazed

Attached is a screenshot of my AT&T data plan.

Attached Files: