Question about my BootCamp / Windows situation

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by sportguy0913, Dec 28, 2011.

1. sportguy0913 macrumors 6502

I have MacBook Pro with Snow Leopard currently installed. I have a valid (genuine) copy of Windows XP Pro that is currently unactivated and not yet installed (it was a part of a multi-license pack, and this license key is not currently used).

I would like to upgrade to Lion, but noticed that Xp is not supported via bootcamp. I am aware of the many ways to circumvent the new limits of BootCamp 4.0 (using disk utility to partition, installing Xp, etc), but I am wondering if I would be able to purchase an Upgrade version of Win7, and somehow use the unactivated license for the XP Pro version that I have to somehow activate the windows 7 upgrade? If this is possible, I would upgrade to Lion, then go about installing the Windows via bootcamp.

Any advice? WIll this work? Is there a better way to go about this?

Thank you

2. johnhurley macrumors 6502a

johnhurley

Yeah it should work ... you can get by using a win 7 upgrade even without necessarily having an xp disk around with a couple of different workarounds.

From amazon you can get an OEM version of win 7 pro for right around 100 bucks.

Cost of win 7 pro can be even less with college students available.