Question about my contract...

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by ikare, May 12, 2008.

1. ikare macrumors member

Ok, my contract is up the 17th of this month, I am confused about what to do. I have read alot about a possible discount from at&t if you sign a new contract and get the new 3g phone, I plan on upgrading to the new phone, but by signing a new contract, will I loose the current plan I have, the rollover minutes especially, help me out, thanks

2. avaloncourt macrumors 65816

Any cell phone contract that has met its term becomes month to month. Leave it alone. You don't have to make a decision now. As long as you don't make any changes to the existing contract you're just fine.

Hang around and wait to see what the offer becomes. Your present contract will roll from one phone to the next. You really aren't making any changes. If you don't go subsidized then simply swapping SIM cards will maintain your current terms.

3. cyclingplatypus macrumors 6502a

cyclingplatypus

If you already have an at&t account what you'll do is just extend that account when you buy a new iPhone, you won't lose your rollovers and you'll just enter a new contract.

4. ikare thread starter macrumors member

sorry, bear with me as I try to understand everything LOL, now to get a discount from at&t do I sign a brand new contract and loose my rollover? Thanks for helping!

5. avaloncourt macrumors 65816

I wouldn't think you would lose anything as you're already on an iPhone plan. You'd just be taking a subsidized phone in trade for restarting your 2-year contract date.

6. lindsayanng macrumors 68000

lindsayanng

We just did this with our family share plan and there was THOUSANDS of roll over minutes. We had to switch OUT of a basic business plan and re-write the entire contract as a personal because of something funky with ATT's billing for businesses and multiple iphones. ANYWAYS, they actually said they were just going to add those "rollover" minutes as free minutes on the new contract, but when we got the bill, we actually had a CREDIT. they gave us the CASH that the minutes are worth and applied it to our next bill. You have to be stern but friendly, but tell them that you REFUSE to let them take away teh minutes you paid for.. its not fair for them to PUNISH you for choosing to stay with them.

generally to do this, you need to talk to a supervisor or manager. I suggest going to a store and finding a nice sales person and his.her manager.

7. FarSeide macrumors 6502a

FarSeide

but you wont qualify for the discount...

8. cyclingplatypus macrumors 6502a

cyclingplatypus

Sure you would, I've done this, you call up and ask to by a new phone they tell you that it requires a new contract and then you get the subsidized phone and your contract is extended.

9. zainjetha macrumors 6502a

i second what cyclingplatipus says as i did same.

10. ikare thread starter macrumors member

thanks all, I wanted the discount but didn't want to loose the rollover, you guys have been helpfull

11. soms macrumors 6502

soms

correct. thats exactly what I'm going to be doing as well.